Thursday, June 21, 2007

Okay, I Can Take a Hint

I'm sorry I haven't posted. I meant to. I just didn't.

I really haven't been up to a whole lot. Just relaxing, reading, and spending as little time on the computer as possible.

Michael is still working. He should have been done weeks ago but little things keep happening to prolong the job so he's still plugging away. The job with housing has started so he'll probably try to get hired there rather than go to California again. That's good because the pay will be better but I won't deny I'm a little disappointed. If he had gone to California I would have gone with him and that would have allowed me to see my mom and sister.

The more I think about it, the more I think we should be thinking about a permanent move. Not necessarily to California, but somewhere. Somewhere where he can find a more permanent job. Everytime we think we're ready we feel the pull of our family and end up staying. We're a couple of gumboots hopelessly stuck on this rock.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy here. There are plenty of things to love about this place. Especially this time of year. Everything is green and gorgeous and, aside from the mosquitoes, its a great time to be outdoors. Summer is a good time to be here.

Speaking of Summer, todays the first day of the season. Last year, Millie had this idea to stay up and watch the sun rise on the first day of summer. "Let's stay up and watch the start of summer", she said. So we did. Well, she didn't quite last till sunrise but we had fun trying. This time of year we'd chat first thing in the morning. She'd tell me where they were going to fish that day. I'd wish her luck and wait patiently for her to get back home to tell me how many fish they got. My days started and ended with Millie. I can't believe its coming up on 6 months since I've talked with her. My last contact with her was on the phone the day before she collapsed. I called her to thank her for the gift card she gave me for Christmas and let her know what I bought with it. I can't remember if I told her I love her.

2 comments:

Connie Marie said...

I think you belong on the "Rock" just like the gumboots. I would not want to move away from "home" myself. Somebody's gotta let us know how your part of the world is doing here in Blogland and you do it well enough!

A gift card??? Oh my! You got more than I did from her, I got nothing, haha! I gave her a gift card for her birthday though, she never said what she did with it, the ol' poop!

The Christmas gift I had for her sat under the tree waiting to be delivered then she had her aneurysm. A lot of times we gave each other our gifts after Christmas, depending on if we got to see each other before or not.

I found a candle ensemble for her from Pier One and since she was taking so long to wake up I opened it for her and have it sitting on my own coffee table. I light it occasionally and sit and watch it and think about how much she would have loved it.

Ah well, life changes and we must change right along with it! She is still around here somewhere! She is just not talking!!!!

Kerri said...

Yeah, I guess we do belong here, maybe I just need a vacation or something. haha

I'm glad you opened and have been using the candles. I know Millie likes candles. We've talked about how nice they look and smell and she teases me because I hate to light mine. One day while I was in Town, we both went to Wal-Mart and purchased the same scented candle. I thought that was funny. Anyway, I think she would be happy to know you've put her gift to use rather than letting it sit in a box gathering dust.