Monday, November 12, 2007

Updates

My sister is out of the hospital. She was sent home with six different medications. Pain killers, iron pills, anti-biotics, and three others I don't remember at the moment. The only one she has taken is the anti-biotics. She still hasn't scheduled her appointment to have her staples removed. She doesn't seem too concerned. That makes ME concerned. The doctors won't let my mom make the appointments because my sister is an adult. She won't make them herself because she thinks its my mom's job to take care of her. Sometimes dealing with my sister can be extremely frustrating.

My father-in-law is home. He was on a triple dose of his blood thinner meds. Thankfully, there was no damage to his heart as a result of it. I'm not sure who was responsible for prescribing such a high dosage, but I hope they figure it out and do something about it.

My aunt with cancer is still in Anchorage. They were not able to find cancer with a PET scan, or any of the other tests they ran on her. But the surgeon who removed her uterus is insisting there is cancer so they are going ahead with the treatment. I believe she starts radiation tomorrow. I sincerely hope the surgeon knows what he's talking about because, from what I understand, one can only have radiation treatment once. Should they treat the wrong area it would all be a waste. If she doesn't have cancer and should somehow get cancer in the future, what will that mean? I really, really hope that surgeon knows what he's doing. I'm told the PET scan is THE test for finding cancer...it is supposedly the most accurate of all available resources. I don't understand why there is a discrepancy.

On a lighter note, I woke up to see SNOW on our mountains! I was so happy about that. :o) Not as happy as I will be to wake up to a snow covered car, haha, but happy.

Not much else to report on after a laid-back, uneventful weekend.

Oh, Lindsey played in a basketball tournament this weekend and made the All-Tourney Team! She scored 20 of the teams 34 points in the final game!

3 comments:

Connie Marie said...

Once my brother in law said, "Sometimes life is like treading deep water - sometimes the waves lap over your nose, but you just gotta bob up so that you can catch your breath."

Sounds like you are catching yours.

Go Lindsey!

Connie Marie said...

Stopping by to say Happy Thanksgiving, I hope it's filled with peace and thankfulness.

Anonymous said...

1. Sis could give mom Power of Attorney for all things Medical. It would help. I'm glad to know she is out of the hospital and I understand your frustration in dealing with her. Things just don't change for her, do they?

2. Oh my word! A triple dose of his blood thinners?? That's so dangerous. I am glad he's OK.

3. I'm so sorry to hear of your Aunt! That's quite frightening to begin treatment even though there is "no evidence"... I heard something on NPR last week about "Watchful waiting" wherein cancer patients were monitored closely over the course of a month to see if their cancer grew or came back, etc. The reasoning is that they are reasonably sure that the body's cells "accidentally" make cancerous cells and then get rid of them "all the time."

Your aunt has every right to refuse treatment.

4. Those girls and their basketball, eh? Oh and it looks like we're going to have a white Thanksgiving!!!!

**hugs**

Miss You!