Tuesday, March 14, 2006

My Trip

The tournament was so much fun. Our teams placed 3rd and 4th but they played hard and had some pretty exciting games.

The girls played on Wednesday. They actually had the first game of the tournament. They lost a heart-breaker by 2 points. They were behind by as many as 12 and fought hard to come back. With some fouls late in the 4th quarter, the other team was able to pull ahead and win.

Their loss meant they didn’t get another game until 8AM Friday morning. They won that game by 20 points and ended up in 4th place.

The boys played on Thursday and despite their hustle and determination, lost by 10. Had they won, they would have gone on to the championship game. They played for 3rd instead and won.

My niece Alexys was the only freshman on the All-Conference Team. She also received the Good Sport Award (an award chosen by the coaches based on attitude throughout the entire season). Our whole school received the Sportsmanship Award. Other awards received by our students included 5 more All Conference Team members (including one cheerleader) and All-Academic awards (high school seniors who maintain a 3.0 or higher throughout high school receive this award) were given to each of our seniors.

All in all, it was a pretty successful tournament.

Outside of the tournament we had plenty to keep us busy. We bought tons of movies at Wal-Mart, were able to enjoy Subway sandwiches, spend time with my sister-in-law and her family, meet my new puppy (who is still without a name and will hopefully be able to come to our home soon), watch Firewall at the theater, and just relax in our hotel room.

One day, we tried to find a way to keep the girls (Lindsey and Lucione) busy without them spending what little money they had. We took them to a car wash. My truck really needed it and they had a blast spraying the hoses and using the soap brush. They didn’t even mind that it was snowing. Haha At the time they looked as if they were enjoying themselves. I didn’t know how much until their mother mentioned how excited they were to tell her about it when she was finally able to join us in Town.

She arrived late because Michael’s aunt passed away two days before we were supposed to leave. We were trying to decide whether to stay home or go to the tournament when his cousin called and told Michael that she understood that we had paid for our trip and had it planned for quite a while. She said to go and support Alexys, so that’s what we did. Instead of the big group of 11, we were down to 4 until Thursday.

I think that’s my trip in a nutshell. At least all that I can remember at the moment and all I have time to write. My first class is in the hallway on its way to me so I guess I better get going!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

It sounds like an awesome, wonderful trip. Aren't you SO GLAD that Michael doesn't have to go away again? :-)

**hugs**

Connie Marie said...

I'm glad you are back home and safely too.

Sorry about Michael's Aunt but happy you all were able to still go to Alexys games.

New puppy? What kind of puppy?

I just gave Chewy a bath and used Pantene (!!) to wash his hair, lol. It is much easier to comb his hair which I am letting grow out to see what it's like to have a long-haired shihtzu. (I think I already know ---it's lots of work, that's what it's like!)

Welcome back to blogdumb! hehehe

Aimee said...

I think you should name the dog Baer. :)