Thursday, March 16, 2006

Oh, The Weather Outside is Frightful!

I saw the weather forecast yesterday and was doubtful. I told others what I had read and they, too, were doubtful.

We were all wrong. The snow storm warning was more than justified. It was snowing last night but it was fairly light. The roads were just barely covered in a white powder.

When I opened my door to leave for school I was shocked. We had tons and tons of snow and it’s still falling. There were at least 6 inches. Some parts were even deeper because of drifting.

I’m not complaining, mind you. I was just shocked. We all were. When the phone rang at 7:30 and I noticed it was coming from the school, I thought it was going to be a Snow Day. It was Space Cadet on the phone…but she just wants Michael to give her husband a ride to the ferry today. Shucks.

Having all this snow brings back so many childhood memories. We used to get snow like this all the time when I was small. Deeper, even. I used to be able to lie down and disappear in the snow. Granted, I was smaller, but even my parents say the snow was a lot deeper back then.

I can remember being dressed up in a pretty little Easter dress, bonnet and all, and being pulled to church on a sled or in a wagon because my sister and I couldn’t walk in the snow in our dress-up shoes.

I can remember visiting my gram (at the house I just moved out of) and making snow angels with her in her yard. Her yard was never level, so we’d make snow angels at the low end and then go up to the higher end and roll downhill. We always had a blast and played till we were frozen. Then she’d take us inside and make hot cocoa.

We’ve only had one Snow Day that I can remember. It happened when I was a freshman in high school. We got a lot of snow overnight and because it was also windy, we had snow drifts in places as high as 18 inches. Cars couldn’t drive and some people had to shovel snow from their front doorways. Michael doesn’t remember any snow days from when he was in school. Most people walked back then, anyway.

The only thing I can find to complain about is the fact that I’ve run out of furnace fuel. We’re using electric heaters until I get paid and the business manager won’t pay us until after Spring Break (which starts tomorrow and ends on the 26th) so I guess my electricity bill is going to increase.

Other than that, all is well. I’m loving the snow, I’m hours away from Spring Break, we’re settled into our home, and I think I’ve finally beaten my latest cold. Life is good right now. Let it snow.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Yay for snow!!!!!!! It's chilly here again (just under freezing for the high today) and no snow AT ALL on the ground. So enjoy it while it lasts!

I love it when you share childhood memories at EASTER with snow.

:-) **hugs**

Fizzy said...

It is lovely to hear you sound so positive and happy again. We have had some showers and biting snow but nothing much. However the wind is horrendous... I think it is called a north easterly... it is very yuk anyway and I was playing football with the kids in it today... OUCH

Darlene Schacht said...

I remember making igloos and snow forts of all kinds. I always wanted to sleep in one, but it never hapened for us. My friends made one in their yard and slept in it.

Enjoy your snow! :)

Aimee said...

It's really neat to think we were sharing the same weather. :) We got a blast of that storm last week. Even though there was no snow at my elevation, there was on the mountains right near us.

Good to hear you're settling in well. Sending you love.