Thursday, June 08, 2006

Feels Like Summer

Last night while driving down a dirt road, we spotted something. At first we thought it was a rock, then a slight breeze came and it seemed to move. We thought maybe a piece of clothing because we were not the only vehicle on the road and an animal would have moved out of the way.

When we got closer, I realized it was a bird. I thought it was hurt because it wasn't moving its wings and every time it tried to walk, it would fall flat. I got worried because I thought for sure if we had left it there it would get run over by one of the other vehicles traveling the same road.

Normally I am not fond of birds. I enjoy watching them from a distance, but would never have one for a pet. I did that once...never again. Birds are one small step up from cats, if ya ask me.
Anyway, Michael put on his gloves and got out of the truck to get a closer look. Turns out it wasn't an injured bird. It was a chick. He probably fell out of his nest and was either stunned and disoriented, or a little banged up. He knelt down and stroked his head. He didn't run away so he picked him up. After inspecting and deciding he wasn't seriously hurt, he put him under the bushes at the road side. Hopefully, he stayed there until he was found by his mother. I hate to think of what would have happened had Michael not helped him out.

We got well into the 70's today for the first time this year. It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow and the next day. I think I'm going to need to go on a picnic!

With all of this great weather and free time on our hands, we've been spending a lot of time outdoors. Some of it driving, some of it walking, basically just doing whatever will keep us out of the house.

The puppies are doing well. They're growing and are as active as ever. The only time Copper stops moving is to sleep. Oh, and when its time to go down stairs.

We stood there for what felt like forever giving gentle tugs on the lease. He never did budge so we ended up having to pick him up and carry him down the stairs. I guess that's good, though. At least for now we won't have to worry about him making a run for it when the door is left open.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

OK question. Puppies, best thing EVER? (I think so!)

I need to go on a picnic too. We should meet in the middle and have a nice picnic together. hehe

Connie Marie said...

It's so sad to find a bird out of it's nest. I hope it was fed by the parent birds, we can pretend that it was. It does not take long before they die from not eating, I think birds have to eat constantly to live. Poor little thing.

Is your puppy growing? Still looks so tiny!

My husband is home now for six weeks. Probably won't be doing much online work/writes.

Sounds like your summer is going!