Saturday, January 14, 2006

I'm Not Superstitious. BUT....

Yesterday was a very crazy day.

I woke up extra early and could not go back to sleep. I puttered around the house, actually my bedroom because the smell is back, for over an hour waiting for the water to heat up enough for me to take a shower.

I showered, dressed, got my lunch ready, read a couple blogs, and with 10 minutes before I had to leave I realized I forgot to eat breakfast! What? Who forgets to eat? I had instant Cream of Wheat, thank goodness. I inhaled a bowl and headed out the door.

I got to work and realized that it was Friday the 13th. I didn't think anything of it. It's just another day. I've never been superstitious. The rest of the school day seemed to be going okay.

About half-way through the day, I found out that both the boys and girls basketball teams were traveling to Craig this weekend so I asked Space Cadet what she was going to do with her free weekend. She hadn't made any plans and I said, half joking, "I have a full tank of gas. We should cruise in my truck." We left it at that because I had to go to Science.

Then it was time to leave. I had bills to pay, but being the crazy community we are, the bank closes at 1PM and the cashier's window at the municipal building closes at 3PM. I don't get off until 3:30 so have to mail my payments.

I started to walk out the door and realized I didn't bring my wallet. Space Cadet stopped me and asked if I needed a ride. I said, "Only if you're willing to stop at my house on the way to the post office because I need stamps and forgot my wallet." She agreed and we headed to her car.

I got close to her car and said, "Hey. Your lights are on." She had just brought a visiting therapist to the airplane less than an hour before that so we figured it would be okay.

No such luck. Her car wouldn't start. We headed back to the building and passed the principal on our way to the phone. "What's the matter? Battery dead?"

"Yeah, I left the lights on."

"I saw that. Your wipers, too. Your engine wasn't running? You better call a tow truck!" He laughed, shook his head, and walked off. Nothing surprises him anymore when it comes to me and Space Cadet. haha

We tried to call her husband, who happens to own the only tow truck in town, but he didn't answer the phone. I suggested we get my truck but changed my mind rather quickly when I realized I'd have to drive it home and I hate driving our big tank. We spotted another teacher leaving and Space Cadet hollered at her asking if she had jumper cables. She did, and came over to our side of the building to help us out.

So there we were, 3 women, looking under 2 hoods and crossing our fingers that we were doing things right. Space Cadet asked, "This is Negative, right?"

"I've never done this before, but I'm guessing that N-E-G means Negative," I said sarcastically.

We must have connected things right because the car started. We thanked the other teacher and we all went on our merry ways.

Once we had taken care of our business at the post office and took a little short ride to make sure her car would keep running, I was dropped off at home. I cooked dinner and sat at the computer to kill some time.

Around 7:00, Space Cadet marched through my front door. "Are you ready?" I didn't know until then that she had taken my suggestion seriously.

"Yeah, I guess. Let me call Michael first so he doesn't worry if he calls and I don't answer." The last time I wasn't home to answer his call he called the entire family asking where I was. haha Anyway, she grabbed the keys and went out to start the truck.

She came back in and said, "It's dead. It won't start."

I thought she was kidding me after our little episode earlier that afternoon. "Are you serious? How could it be?"

"I don't know but it won't turn over. It's deader than a doornail."

I was still on the phone with Michael. He said to call Michael Richard and have him jump the truck using my in-law's Jeep. We called for him but he wasn't home. Space Cadet said, "We've already done it once today. Shall I go get the Jeep and we'll do it ourselves?"

When she got back with the Jeep, we had to leave the cars connected for about 10 minutes before the truck could draw enough power to start. We couldn't figure out how to keep the Jeep's hood open so I had to stand there holding it open the entire time...in the rain. We finally got it started, left it running, and took a couple trips around the block with the Jeep to make sure it was back to a full charge before it got turned off.

We got in the truck somewhere around 7:45. I could not get Space Cadet to stop driving until Midnight. Even then she only gave up because Lucione had just left a dance and she was worried that her husband might have locked the house and Lucione didn't have a key with her.

So we rode around for over 4 hours last night. We couldn't stop laughing about how we had to jump both of our cars on the same day and we did it both times all by ourselves.

I'm normally not superstitious...but I'm not so sure now. :o)

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Kerri, even though you had a kind of weird day, I was giggling over it... and that you and Space Cadet were able to have fun and chill out and just enjoy each other's company and not sit home all night with nothing to do.

:-) **hugs**

Connie Marie said...

Funny about standing in the rain holding the hood open, hehehe!

Tee/Tracy said...

LOL - atleast it wasn't 2 car wrecks in one month like me. Good for you figuring out the jumper cables. I've never done it either and I'd be scared to shock myself. LOL.

4 hours of driving around! That's worth like a million dollars. LOL.

Lois Lane said...

Plenty of things to get you thinking huh?! I hope you guys get the oven thing taken care of. I hope those fumes aren't getting to you and causing the spacey feeling in your melon. Cuz that would be really bad.
Lois Lane