Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Confused

I’ve spent the last few days trying to figure out what my next move is. A couple weeks ago I received a letter regarding the house in the mail from my uncle. It sounded so bitter and cold that my initial reaction was to pack up and get out. I don’t normally run from confrontation, but this is my family. My mom only had 2 siblings and one has already passed away from cancer. Was this house really worth losing an uncle? At the time I didn’t think it was. I was so upset by his words that I just wanted to wash my hands of the entire situation and not look back.
Then Michael came home. He’s talked to my cousin and was told by him not to move. He said that, legally, our uncle doesn’t have the right to force me to move or even pay rent. Michael’s reluctant to move because of that conversation.
I’ve yet to hear from my mom as to what she wants me to do. The statements in the letter that upset me the most were directed at my mom. How someone can say such hurtful things about his only remaining sister is beyond me. He even inferred that he and my aunt who died loved each other more than, and in a deeper way, than he has or could love my mom.
It’s just one big ugly mess and I’m about to the point where enough is enough. I made the mistake of telling Space Cadet. She, in turn, told my in-laws. Now they’re all upset and concerned. My dad said to just move into his house and remove myself from the middle of this whole situation. As much as I’d like to, I have a hard time just “giving up” and letting my uncle have his way because I know in my heart he is not right. I hate these types of decisions.
I’m trying so hard to enjoy having Michael home but I can’t truly relax because of this whole house issue. I wish I knew how to get moved out and NOT relinquish the house to my uncle.

9 comments:

Connie Marie said...

Oh no, this does not sound good. I want you to be happy ---whichever you decide to do. Extra hugs to you while you work to a decision that will work for all... without too much family turmoil.

Kate said...

*hugs*

Fizzy said...

OH what a horrible thing to be happening you both. Just as Micheal is home too that is so unfair. Try and enjoy your self with him. I read your last post too.. how is the chair? lol

Jenny said...

**hugs**

Bless your heart, Kerri.

I don't know the answers for your situation, but I'm rooting for you and sending up prayers!

*more hugs*

David Edward said...

Praying for you

Aimee said...

You need to talk to an attorney.

Did your grandmother have a will, a trust, an estate plan, anything? If so, that will settle the issue quickly. If not, there may be some validity to your uncle's claim, but only a portion of it.

One very important thing to remember: No matter what he says, do NOT engage in any conversation about anything other than the house. Don't jump to your mother's defense if he bad-talks her (though I know that will be hard), don't insert opinion about anything at all. JUST the facts about the house.

Save every letter and take them with you to a lawyer. That's the only sure way to know your rights.

(On the other hand, if you do move, at least you'll leave behind the smell issue...)

k8 said...

well, fruit!

that's my badword.

Aimee said...

Hey--you're mighty quiet. What's going on? Everything ok?

Jenny said...

Dear friend, I'm with Aimee... everything alright?

btw I have a new blog address:

http://jayleigh.wordpress.com

**hugs**