Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Back to the Ol' Grindstone

I hope that everyone’s year is off to a good start. Michael and I didn’t do a whole lot to celebrate the New Year. The girls spent the night with us on the 30th. The next day, we had quesadillas for dinner and hot fudge brownie sundaes for dessert. Then we brought them home to get ready for the Lock-In. Every year the Boys and Girls Club sponsors an over-night party for the kids or anyone else wanting to have a safe, drug-free New Year’s Eve. They have games, snacks, and let them dance the night away. Michael and I have never gone. This year, wee went for a drive and listened to our Sirius radio. I found some places where my cell phone will actually work. I tried to call my mom but she didn’t answer so I called Akeskileut, instead! I’ve called her twice recently and both times someone else has answered her phone. This time, her daughter answered and when I asked to speak to her mother, she asked who was calling. I didn’t answer and was hoping she’d just hand the phone over so it would be a surprise. That’s exactly what she did. :o) When Akeskileut answered, I said “Happy New Year!” She said, “Happy New Year to you, too. Who’s calling?” I didn’t tell her. All I could do was laugh. Once I did, she screamed, “Kerri!” haha We had a short, but nice visit.
After that, we went home for a little while and then over to Michael’s parents’ house. We sat there until almost 1AM. This has become a ritual for us and I think his parents look forward to it. They were quick to offer wine but we declined.
School started up again today. I didn’t really feel prepared after having 2 weeks off, but in a way, I’m glad it did. Michael leaves today and being here at work is helping keep my mind off of the fact that I’ll be returning home to an empty house. My only consolation is that this trip is shorter than the last. He’ll be back on the 20th for the weekend.
Meanwhile, there are plenty of things to keep me busy. We have high school basketball games this weekend and it will be the first appearance of the new cheerleading squad. My niece (Lucione and Lindsey’s older sister) will be turning 21 next week. And I’ve got my dad’s birthday to prepare for.
My first computer class is due to show up in about 5 minutes.

6 comments:

Kerri said...

I really enjoyed having him home. I'm already counting down to his return and he hasn't even reached Fresno yet!
It's so funny that my laugh gave me away. :o)

Jenny said...

How fun! I love tricking people on the phone. It's especially fun when I call my parents and they think I am my sister. I'll play along for a while and when they ask if I've seen her boyfriend lately, I ask WHY WOULD I SEE HIM WHEN HE'S IN CALIFORNIA AND I AM IN MICHIGAN? They go wild and I giggle.

When does your darling go back to work? It makes me smile to know that you and M have spent so much time together.

I was thinking about you when I went to an after Christmas sale at The Disney Store. Too bad I didn't have a ton of money to get you lots of (probably un-needed) deco's for next year!

**hugs**

Tee/Tracy said...

Well, at least you'll keep busy until Michael is back :) Sounds like you had a good time though and you have me drooling over the quesadillas and sundaes. (I've been on a diet for 3 days. Can you tell? LOL.)

Lois Lane said...

I'm glad you had a good vacation. Being back to work is the best way to keep your mind busy while the mister is away. Here's to hoping time goes by quickly for you both.
Lois Lane

Connie Marie said...

Well, I bet you survived!

Happy New Year kerrie!

David Edward said...

bless you and have a great new year