Friday, January 06, 2006

What's That Smell?

It’s been a while since I’ve posted but this time I have a good excuse. I’ve had to barricade myself in my bedroom since Tuesday because the rest of my house gives me a headache.
Let me try and explain. Our house is heated by a laser Toyo stove. It is fueled by diesel which is stored in a drum outside the house. The house sits fairly high so the drum is up on a pedestal of sorts to allow the fuel to flow smoothly from the drum to the stove.
This pedestal, for lack of a better word, was in dire need of repair. So Michael waited until the DAY BEFORE HE LEFT to remove the drum, repair the pedestal, and put the drum back.
He left on the plane while I was at work. When I returned home, the house reeked of diesel. I thought maybe it was because the drum had been removed and replaced. Maybe there was some fuel in the pipe that needed to be “burned off”. I waited till the next morning and it was worse.
I called my dad. He said that maybe the stove was surging because the drum didn’t have enough fuel in it. I ordered fuel. I asked them to deliver after I got home from work. That was on Wednesday. I rushed home and they never did come. I rushed home again yesterday. They still haven’t come.
The weather has been awful so I can’t go out and check the fuel level to see if they came while I was working. The stick we use to test the level is soaked. I’ll call the fuel company today and see what’s up.
In the mean time, I’ve had to spend all my time in my bedroom. The door has been closed the entire time so I can’t smell the fumes in there. I leave the room in short bursts because if I stay in the living room too long, I get light-headed and/or get a headache.
I turned the stove off last night and the smell seems to have lessened a bit. I’m hoping that if I keep it off, it will eventually dissipate. If so, I just won’t use the stove until Michael comes back. I have small electric heaters and tons of sweaters I can use if I need to.
I wish he had taken care of the drum when he first got home, or at least between Christmas and New Years. That would have given him time to figure out what went wrong before he left. Nobody I’ve asked seems to know what’s wrong or how to correct it. This is probably the one time you’ll ever hear me say this (or see my type it, as the case may be), I am SO glad it is not freezing cold outside.

4 comments:

Tee/Tracy said...

Oh man! I have a headache just reading this...

I actually like the smell of gas at the gas station but one time I stepped in some that had dripped on the pavement. I didn't know it and got back into the car. It got all over the carpet and smelled so strong. It's so awful in a contained space.

I wish I knew what was wrong but I've never even heard of heating a home like this! - All my life I had electric heat. Then we moved to this house and it's propane which, even after a year, still scares the crap out of me. The whole explosive/carbon monoxide/death thing is freaky.

I hope the problem is solved soon. Stay warm and safe!

(BTW - I tagged you!)

Connie Marie said...

YUCK! I hate the smell of stove oil. I hope you figure out the trouble real quick!

If anything is going to go wrong, it will always be when hubby is gone!

Lois Lane said...

Holy moley girl. That doesn't sound like a good thing. I hope the fuel smell is gone soon and you don't freeze off your ever lovin' in the meantime.
Have a great weekend and stay warm.
Lois Lane

Jenny said...

Sweetie, please make sure you don't have any carbon monoxide built up in the house. Even if you don't have your own detector, see if you can borrow someone else's for a few hours. That's a mighty dangerous predicament.

And I detest the smell of deisel. YUCKY!

I'm praying for you dear heart!