Saturday, April 08, 2006

I Got Up Early For Nothing

Yesterday when Akeskileut asked what I had planned for my weekend, I said, "Michael has to work tomorrow so it will be my lazy day."

Then Michael came home.

He said he didn't have to work and if I wanted to go to Town to pick up my puppy, we could. I've been patiently waiting since she was born so, of course, I agreed. I had to visit the bank, anyway. I've got a tax refund to deposit!

I was all excited about it and barely even remember what happened at the celebration thing last night (although the girls did see us there, so that's good) because I couldn't concentrate.

Michael woke me up at 6:30 and as soon as my eyes opened I felt as if I had over-slept. I asked him why he woke me so late and he said I had plenty of time because the ferry leaves at 8:00.

At 7:30 we went to the ferry terminal and it was gone. :o( For some reason I still do not know, it left at 6:45 today. It's making another trip at 5:00PM but will only be over there for half an hour so we'll either have to spend the night or wait till tomorrow to go over.

I got up early for nothing. So much for my lazy day. *sigh*

*****************

Oh, about yesterdays post. I was venting. Space Cadet does silly things like this all the time. I don't help her out with money, but her parents do. Now that her oldest daughter is an adult, she helps, too.

What I resent is the fact that she knows I will always be there for her girls. She doesn't think twice about skipping out on holidays or other special days because she knows the girls will be taken care of.

She knows that when she's broke and can't feed her girls, I will. She knows that if she doesn't slow down to help her kids with homework, I will. She knows that if she feels like leaving town for a day or two (sometimes longer) she doesn't have to worry about her girls because when she's not here to take care of them, I will.

It's not unusual for me to have one or both of her girls for days at a time. Not once, in the almost 14 years I have been a part of this family, has she offered to help pay for the food I feed them. It has never crossed her mind to send them here with as little as a gallon of milk when they arrive for an extended stay.

She takes it for granted that I will be here and sometimes it just...irks me. But as mad as I get at her, I can't say no to the girls. They're children.

Her girls don't ask for much. I'm always talking to them about the value of a dollar. They are provided for at my house. I do not spoil them. When I feel like giving them something extra, I let them help me cook dinner or ask them to do a simple household chore. Then they feel as if they've earned what I've given them. They realize that their mother never has money for them. They've learned to accept it. That's the saddest part of all. I can't even fathom what must go through their heads when they hear their mother say, "I'm broke," and then have to stand by and watch her leave for an over-night stay in Town.

**************

Connie, you asked about my clam chowder. I actually use two pots to cook it because I start the potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery in one pot. Once the vegetables are tender, I use the 2nd pot to make a roux and slowly add Half and Half until it's well combined and smooth. Then I add it to the vegetables. The last thing I add is the clams. Once they're heated, it's time to eat! Sounds very similar to yours except that I add a couple tablespoons of ooligan grease to mine while it cooks.

**************

I guess now that I'm not going to pick up my puppy, I can go to our clinic dedication. Hopefully the rain will hold off until after the pole is raised. I hope you all have a good weekend.

4 comments:

Connie Marie said...

Ooligan grease?

What is that? Grease from an Ooligan? What is an ooligan? Sounds like something you might run into on Halloween night!

AHHHHHHHHH an oooooligan!

Jenny said...

What is ooligan? It must be yummy if you put the grease in your chowder!

What kind of puppy? I know you probably told me already, but I don't remember! ;-)

I didn't read the SC post. I wonder how I missed it? Well I worked all weekend... there's my excuse!

Have a fantastic week, dear friend. Tell us what you named the pup and maybe some pics???

Constance said...

Ooligan? Now that's a new one! Can't say I've ever heard of that. Is it a fish, bird or ????

This past weekend, our youngest daughter Laura Lou (19) who is a Civil War re-enactor, went to Vicksburg Mississippi for a battle. While there, one of the Captains found a 6 week old puppy that somone had just "dumped" and he brought her back to Texas with them. On the way home she "wee'weed" on someone's pillow in the truck (not Laura's). I asked Laura what he was naming her and she had suggested "Missy" since they had found her in Mississippi. Over the weekend they were calling her "Little Miss". I suggested that after the pillow incident, they call her "Miss Pi**". We all got a pretty good laugh over that one!

Kerri said...

Connie, I'll do my best to answer your questions in my next post.

Akeskileut, I love them fried crisp, too! We had a very enjoyable day, thank you.

Jayleigh, that's probably my fault. Being that I haven't posted close to daily in quite some time, how could you know that you were missing out? hehe

Constance, that's a funny story! :o)