Friday, April 07, 2006

When Will You Ever Learn?

Space Cadet strikes again!

She complained all week long about being broke. She had to pay her rent because they were threatening to evict her. She can't throw Lucione a birthday party with her friends because she had to pay rent. On and on and on about how broke she is.

The truth is, she's always broke.

She complains about it every single month and I'm tired of hearing it. She comes to the family for help every month and I'm tired of helping. She digs herself deeper in debt everyday and I'm tired of feeling sorry for her kids. I'm just tired of the whole deal.

We JUST HAD A DISCUSSION YESTERDAY about how we would have a family dinner for Lucione on her birthday (she turns 14 on Friday the 14th) because a big party or dance with all of her friends just wasn't in the budget. She told Lucione and she was okay with that.

So today after lunch she called me into her office. She showed me a program from a celebration happening tonight. She said, "I won't be able to go. Can you go in my place?"

I asked her where she was going. She wouldn't tell me. I said, "This is probably important to the girls. Why can't you go?"

"I'm going to Town."

So I ask, "Why are you going to Town?"

"Can you go to this tonight?"

Again I ask, "Why are you going to Town?"

"Ron's paying my way."

"That's not what I asked...WHY are you going to Town?"

"Marie gave me $50 to shop for Lucione's birthday. I told Lucione I'd send her over on payday since I can't give her a big party."

I just turned and walked out of the office.

I will probably go to the celebration thing tonight because Michael knows about it and will want to be there for the girls but I sort of resent the fact that, once again, Space Cadet is running off and expecting me to pick up the pieces.

As if that wasn't bad enough, she's using Lucione's birthday as an excuse to go and visit her friend Ron...overnight...with no money. How can you shop for a birthday with $50? Things are expensive here. $50 will not go far. Lucione was happy with a small family celebration, now Space Cadet has promised her a trip to Town on her next payday. That will put her behind on rent again. It's all a vicious cycle that Space Cadet created all on her own and doesn't seem to be capable of breaking.

The only reason she's going over is because my in-laws and oldest sister-in-law are in Seattle for a potlatch and Space Cadet is feeling left out. She's been whining and moping all week and Ron got tired of it and told her to come over.

Nevermind that your daughters are being honored for their recent sportsmanship award. Nevermind that you have a choir concert in 2 days and you'll be missing dress rehearsal. Nevermind the fact that you HAVE NO MONEY and are always complaining you are broke.

Go.

Have fun.

Just don't expect me to feel sorry for you when you can't make ends meet next week. Payday is a long 3 and a half weeks away and the check will mean nothing because you've already promised it to others.

2 comments:

Connie Marie said...

Hard one to figure out (((((kerrie)))))

When our kids were little, I told them, don't go outside without your coat on, it's freezing out there. Sometimes they went out without their coats on anyway. I just let them freeze. They learned to get their coat before they go out because they didn't like freezing.

It's a shame that a parent has to be treated like a child some times, because the children are the ones that take the kick in the pants. Maybe if no one would bail her out of her money troubles long years ago, things would be different now.... but then again, maybe not.

Don't know what I would do in a situation like that. I think I might be a bit of an old Kodiak bear and do a lot of growling! But, better for all that I should pray instead ----and maybe give her a big bag of beans occasionally.

Fizzy said...

It isn't right. It won't be long before her children will look back on thier lives and realise who was there for them!!