Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Our Sunday

Click a photo to view it larger.

Sunday we had a birthday dinner to go to for our niece Alexys but the morning and afternoon we had all to ourselves.

Michael made little apple turnovers for breakfast and we decided to spend the day in the truck. We drove around town for a while and decided to do be tourists and go check out the hatchery. It had been a long time since we had ventured out to that part of the island.

We weren't entirely sure there would be fish to see, but it was a nice drive nonetheless.

This gazebo is a nice place to relax and watch the fish swimming upstream. It's even got a table if you decide to take a picnic lunch.

Last summer, a friend of mine got married there. It really is a beautiful area. I can't believe they were the first to think of using it for a wedding.



This totem pole was carved by one of my sister's classmates. It's a bit weathered, but still very nice. See the fish in the man's hands? I wasn't at the pole raising so don't know the significance of the raven. Each pole has a story and I'm sorry I don't know this pole's story.






Can you see the fish swimming in the water? There weren't very many because the tide was low when we got there. They're so much fun to watch. It always amazes me when they return. They look so graceful swimming in the water and have to be so strong in order to make it back upstream.




Here are some who made it up the stream and into the ladder. All those beautiful kings...so tempting to grab a net and bring some home for dinner! haha





Here you can see them in the holding ponds. The lighting was not very good and I couldn't use the flash because the water acted like a mirror. We stood and watched them for a few minutes. They were jumping and splashing, trying to get past the gate.




Here are some other scenery pictures we took while there.

7 comments:

Fizzy said...

What lovely pictures. I love seeing the places where people live. I loved the gazebo an Ideal place for a wedding.

Jenny said...

Kerri my friend, you always ALWAYS have the best pics! I am glad that you and Michael had a really great weekend together.

How many kids do you have this week?

*hugs*

Sandy said...

how pretty!
I love gazebos
I don't get it, how do fish "climb a ladder?" Don't laugh! I don't know!

Kerri said...

Fizzy, I'm glad you enjoy the photos. I really enjoy taking them. I, too, thought it was the perfect spot for a wedding. It never would have worked for me, though, our wedding was way too large.

Thank you, Jayleigh, I'm honored that you think so. I only have one kid this week so far. I tried to go it alone but my mother-in-law told Lucione to move back in.

Sandy, the fish ladder is not like the ladder you are picturing in your head. It's a series of "steps", each one a bit higher than the first. It is meant to resemble the uphill climb the fish would encounter swimming up a natural stream on their way to spawn. There is water running down the ladder, the fish jump into the water and swim as hard as they can to get up over the step. Then they rest up and do it all over again until they reach the holding ponds. I hope that makes sense. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll try again.

Jenny said...

Is that your M-I-L's way of taking care of you while Michael is gone?

Kind of sweet, really.

**hugs**

Thanks for your prayers.

Sandy said...

oh, I got it! Thanks!

Lois Lane said...

I love your pictures. That looks like a very nice place to spend some good quality family time.
Lois Lane