Friday, August 05, 2005

Potlatch Day 1

Nobody asked, but the title of my last post is written in my native language and it means, "I love you, Grandmother."

I just got home from night one of the potlatch. It was so much fun and tomorrow night promises to be even better.

A potlatch is a celebration. It can be to celebrate a wedding or a memorial to a loved one who's passed on. When a pole is raised, it's done during a potlatch. Everybody has a role to play in a potlatch. You are either a part of the host clan or you are a witness. As a host, it is your job to thank the witnesses for attending. You do this by offering gifts. Tomorrow night, the last thing they'll do before the potlatch is over, is distribute gifts. Anyone who attends, who is not a part of the host clan, receives gifts. They can range from a piece of fruit, to a piece of native art.

My cousins are hosting this potlatch. They are putting a memorial plaque in the home of my aunt and uncle who have both passed away. The memorial is their reason for the potlatch.

At a potlatch, you witness many things such as native dance, clan adoptions, regalia dedications, and storytelling.

The highlight of tonights potlatch, in my opinion, was when my nephew Adam gave up his braid for Locks Of Love. He did a warrior dance and publically declared his personal war against cancer. He also honored a family friend who has struggled with cancer for the past 5 years. I was so proud of him.

There were a lot of young people involved tonight and that makes me very happy. There was a time when we came very close to completely losing our culture. It's now coming back strong and it is so good to see.

Lucione was my photographer tonight. Here are some of her photos. As always, clicking a photo will allow you to view it larger.













9 comments:

Fizzy said...

What a brilliant post. It sounds such a wonderful way to honour the lives of those who mean so much to you. I am glad that your traditions are not dying out.
Love the pictures

Kerri said...

Thank you, Fizzy. We're coming back strong. We're extremely lucky to not have lost it entirely. I'll let Lucione know you enjoyed her photos. :o)

Anonymous said...

Great ideas and post here! Love blogs so if your wanting to know more about how to build a texas holdem table then drop by how to build a texas holdem table out also. Chrisy

The Complimenting Commenter said...

That is so interesting. I didn't know about this ceremony. Thanks for a captivating post and some great pictures. Well done.

Sandy said...

I think my eyes went directly to the pics and that's why I didn't see the title of your other post! Otherwise, i would have asked!

It gave me chills to read your post. I love to hear that the culture is coming back. Everything is getting lost.

THanks for sharing!

Kerri said...

Thank you, The Complimenting Commenter, for visiting my blog!

Sandy, I knew there had to be a reason you, the woman with all the questions, didn't ask. ;o) I'm glad you enjoyed this post.

Jenny said...

Kerri, I didn't ask because after the moving post about your Gram, I could hardly stop myself from bawling while I commented. I sure wondered what it was about, though.

These pics were SO COOL! I don't see you in any of them, though... do I? *grin*

I also wondered what a potlach was and if it was the same as a potluck. I guess not. Thank you so much for describing a potlach. I feel like I'm so deprived of cool ceremonies and get-togethers. Your community must be so incredibly close.

How's Michael doing? How are YOU?

Kerri said...

Jayleigh, that's quite alright. I was just surprised, is all. A potlatch is different from a potluck, but I do have a potluck to attend on Monday! hehe

Michael is adjusting...getting used to finding his way around. He and my cousin feel slighted by the rest of the crew because they're new, but things should be better soon.

I'm adjusting, too. Having Lucione around so much has helped. She's back home tonight but I may be getting a couple of house guests in her place. My cousin's daughter is home from college with a friend and has no place to stay.

Akeskileut, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :o)

Tee/Tracy said...

I agree with Fizzy, and donating his hair is awesome. What a great heart.