Tuesday, August 30, 2005

They Move Out Today!

Today’s the last day I have my niece and nephew with me. After dinner, they’ll go home and pack some clothes and tomorrow morning head down to Seattle to attend their mother’s graduation from the Physician’s Assistant program at the University of Washington.

For the most part, things have gone smoothly. We just finally hit a bump in the road this morning and it was totally preventable if she had only listened to me!

I was supposed to just have my nephew. Alexys was going to stay at her house under the supervision of her mother’s boyfriend. She decided at the last minute to stay and only packed one change of clothes.

So, Sunday afternoon she decided to go home and get more clothes and stay with me for a few more days. As she was walking out the door, I told her to grab a jacket. All she had was a sweatshirt and I knew we’d be getting rain. Rain is inevitable here in SE Alaska.

She came back with more clothes but no jacket. When I asked her why, she said she didn’t need one. If it rained, she would stay indoors or under the covered basketball court.

She left last night and I told her not to get wet. She again promised to avoid the rain if it started by finding shelter. She came home and she was drenched.

She hung her sweatshirt up but it was still soaked this morning, as were her shoes. I told her to call her house and ask that Mark bring her a jacket and some dry shoes. She refused. She threw her sweatshirt and her shoes in my dryer. They were in there for almost half an hour before the dryer stopped. It had been set for 60 minutes. I’m hoping one of her shoes hit the door latch in such a way as to cause it to open and stop the dryer. If that wasn’t the case, I’m in trouble and I don’t have a repair man to call like Fizzy did.

She removed her things from the dryer and told me they were dry. I asked her why she didn’t grab a jacket when I told her to. She said, “All I have are big winter coats.”

I said, “Well, at least it would have kept you dry.”

She shot me a look and walked out of the room. I didn’t push it any further except to tell her that when I ask something of her, I expect her to do it. She’s 14 going on 30. Arguing about it wouldn’t have done any good.


As far as work goes, I finally got the tech guy to fix my testing software so I get to start testing today. Yay! Haha…I’m so not excited about it. Testing is stressful. I do it 5 times a year and it’s always stressful.


Thank you all for your well wishes. I had an excellent birthday even though I didn’t have a party or anything. Michael called me at work and sang to me, my mom and sister called, my dad came to visit and brought me some new clothes, I got some nice e-cards, teachers at work sang to me, Akeskileut CALLED me…it was just a great day all around!

7 comments:

Sandy said...

That's kid's job...to not listen. I think it's rule number 1 in their handbook

Fizzy said...

Another post where a teenage kid is causing chaos. Maybe we need a blog setting up for all of us to let out our frustrations. lol

I am glad that your problem with school is sorted.

As for your Dryer.. I don't know what to suggest. I hope it get fixed soon.

Jenny said...

I hear you on the 14-year-old front. Boy do I ever hear you.

What a nice birthday!

Tee/Tracy said...

I am not looking forward to the teenage years! You handled it well though!

Anonymous said...

Big Brother 6: Nomination and Veto #9
I groaned as today's episode started. With the lack of an episode on Saturday, I had managed to block from my mind the tragedy that had occurred in the last HoH competition: April is Head of Household.
See our small business website for more information about small business.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going. Here's the resolve a lot of people are searching for; lucifer in regards to information on lucifer

Anonymous said...

ESA Broadcast Summary 30 August
Today, ESA released the first 2005 ozone hole data indicating a stronger-than-normal depletion of stratospheric ozone in the Antarctic.
Hello, just surfing the bolg sites. Landed on yours. Nice effort, like the layout, will check back soon.
I have a increase mental powers site. It is all to do with increase mental powers related things.
Check it out if you find the time :-)