Friday, January 07, 2005

Council Inauguration

I don't know if I've mentioned before that I live on an indian reserve. Our town is goverened by a Mayor, his executives, and 12 councilmen. Each elected official serves a 2 year term. The council elections are set up so that 6 are up for re-election each year.

The Mayor has a Secretary and a Treasurer. Each year, if more than 13 individuals sign up for the 6 vacant Council seats, a Primary Election is held in October. The top 12 move on to the general election in November and the top 6 earn 2 year terms as Councilmen. The Mayor, Secretary, and Treasurer ballots are narrowed down to 2, if needed.

In November, the general election is held and the newly elected executives or councilmen are sworn into office at an inauguration held usually on the first Friday of January.

Council Inauguration consists of the swearing in of newly elected executives and councilmen as well as newly accepted community members. Because we are a reserve, you must be a member to reside here. When you reach the age of 18, you must apply for membership and, if approved, be sworn in at the next inauguration ceremony.

Only members are allowed to vote in municipal elections. Non-members are allowed to reside and work within the community but must obtain resident and work permits each year in order to do so.

Sometimes state politicians attend our council inaugurations. Most often, though, the politicians who speak are local. There is usually some live entertainment that consists of either native dance, a choir, or soloists.

Once the inauguration ends, there is usually a town dance to end the evening.

How's that for an explanation, Jayleigh?

5 comments:

Aimee said...

I am SO impressed that you know how your reservation electoral process works.

So, was last night the inauguration? If so, did you go & did you have fun?

Kerri said...

Yes, Aimee, the inauguration was yesterday afternoon. The best speech of the day (by best I mean the most relevant, thought-provoking, and meaningful) was given by my uncle. He spoke directly to the councilmen about respect for each other and their fellow community members, about honor and pride, even about how they should present themselves (Uncle, apparently, is not happy that some councilmen choose to attend council meetings in blue jeans and overalls.). He got a standing ovation afterwards and, once again, I was very proud to claim him as my uncle.

I didn't attend the dance but since I live next door to the Town Hall, heard everything until about 3AM this morning when they finally shut down. *yawn*

Jenny said...

Kerri, that's a great explanation, and thank you for taking the time to shed a little light on your town's customs. I find it incredibly interesting that you live in such a small, very close knit community and you're related to a great many people in that same community.

It's great to hear you tell stories about where you live.

Aimee said...

I remember seeing the picture of you uncle when you first posted it. I'm glad he's shaming the council members, and I hope they listen to him!

Bummer you were kept awake all night. :( Maybe next time you should just go so at least you can be playing while you're being kept awake!

Kerri said...

Jayleigh, you're welcome. Anything else you want to know? Just ask!

Tara, thanks. Sometimes I forget that my situation is so different from everyone else because this is all I've ever known.

Aimee, had the circumstances been different, I may have. But as it turned out, I wan't in much of a party-going mood Friday night.