Sunday, January 30, 2005

Rain, Rain Go Away!


Snowy mountain 

It's been raining so long I can't even remember when it started. I was thinking it was 2 weeks...but I think I said that last week so it may actually be 3 weeks of non-stop rain.

I don't mind the rain, really...but we don't just get rain. It comes with high winds most of the time. That means planes can't fly, which means we don't have mail coming in or going out. Having a ferry helps, but the ferry doesn't run everyday so mail service is sporadic during our heavy rainfall.

I remember when winter meant snow. We still get snow, but not like we used to. I remember being a child and being able to lie down and be covered by snow. My yaya's yard was higher than the road. My cousin and I would slide down the side of the yard all day long. It was only about 4 feet high but we felt like we were flying. We'd play out till we were frozen, go home for dinner, and then play again. We never got tired of it.

We loved playing on frozen lakes, too. I never used ice skates like she did, though. I'd just run and slide with my shoes. It was easier for me to help her when she fell if I didn't have skates on.

We always made a snowman but never had a snowball fight. Throwing things at each other never seemed like all that fun.

When I got older, I spent the better part of my winters dragging my smaller cousins on their sleds. They liked snowball fights. I would never throw snowballs at them. I'd let them throw at me and most of the time they'd miss, thank goodness.

Now that I'm grown, the winters are shorter. At least the snowy part of the winter. I look forward to the snow every year. There's something about a fresh blanket of snow. It makes the world seem so peaceful. Any imperfections in the landscape are temporarily covered up. Making the first tracks in the snow is always a thrill. It's as if the world is new. You're an explorer in a newly discovered land.

When you think about it, though, you don't need snow to be an explorer in life. Each new day brings new adventures; new discoveries around every corner.

What will tomorrow bring?


What will you find around the very next corner? 

3 comments:

Aimee said...

Wow--Gorgeous pictures!

Kerri said...

Thank you, Aimee. :o)

Jenny said...

Kerri I love hearing stories of your childhood in the winter. It makes me remember my own. :-)