Thursday, January 20, 2005

My Daddy

Today is my dad's birthday. Being with him on his birthday and Father's Day is always a big joy for me. It brings back a rush of childhood memories.

I remember him putting me to bed and singing with me. I mentioned before how we used to end each song with "Ooohhh, Maaaannn!" When I started singing in church, he listened to my songs before I left for church and critique my performance. :o)

When Laura moved away, my dad took me fishing so I could just be alone with my thoughts on the water. We had some of our best talks on the water, but he always knew when I needed the quiet time and he'd just let me sit in the bow of our Boston Whaler and stare down at the jelly fish and things in the water as we slowly drifted along waiting for a bite. It wasn't always like that, though. There were plenty of fishing trips where all we did was talk and sing along with the radio or his cassette tapes. I was his good luck charm. He always caught the most when I was with him. We had our own secret spot where we were guaranteed at least 3 big king salmon each time we went there. It only worked if I was in the boat. :o) He taught me to steer the boat and bait the hooks like a pro. I miss our fishing trips.

When my mom left, Dad went through a rough period. He started drinking and stopped eating. He developed a stomach ulcer and often cried himself to sleep. I'd comfort him and never showed my anger or disappointment when he'd come home drunk. I learned to keep house at an early age because of this period, but I don't have any bad feelings about it. He didn't handle his grief as well as he could have, but it didn't last too long and he was back to being Daddy again in no time. He worked hard to support my sister and I, and then it was just the 2 of us.

As a small child, I'd watch the Tommy Hunter and Carol Burnette Shows with him. Later on, it was Cheers. Then Wheel of Fortune.

When I became engaged, he was not very happy. He thought I was young and foolish but I suppose all dads have a hard time letting go of their little girls. I am, after all, his youngest and we are extremely close.

I asked Michael to go and personally ask my dad for his blessing. That broke the ice and now they are as close as any father and son.

The day I got married is a day that will always be remembered by not only Michael and me, but the 400+ guests we had, as well. My dad, always the procrastinator, waited until the day of the wedding to go to Town and buy a new suit. Because all of Michael's groomsmen worked with him, we couldn't have the rehearsal until the morning of the wedding. One of Michael's sisters had to be my dad so I could practice walking down the aisle. The wedding was supposed to start at 7PM. At 6:45, my dad showed up at the church with a brand new suit and....old shoes. He walked into a bar in Town to use the phone. He put down his packages to dial and then wait for his taxi. When he got up to leave, he grabbed everything but his new pair of shoes. We had to delay the start of the wedding because we had to wait for the bartender to bring the shoes to the plane and then wait for them to arrive. The freight person brought the shoes directly to the church so we could start the ceremony. Michael's uncle took a close-up shot of my dad's shoes and we gave him a framed 8x10 as a gift for our first Christmas. He has it hanging in his kitchen. hee hee

Now that I'm an adult, we are still very close. I bake him a spice cake for every birthday and Father's Day. He'll often call me up and say, "I just wanted to hear your voice. I miss you." When my step-mom is out of town, Dad comes for dinner. He's an excellent cook but always complains he doesn't know how to cook for just one. Silly, Dad!

I've been blessed with a wonderful father. He is one of my best friends. Today is his birthday.


Happy Birthday, Dad!




Daddy and his little girl. Posted by Hello

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

sniff...but happy...that is a nice story and pic. Thanks for sharing! You both look nice.

Kerri said...

But I look so.........oops...nevermind.

Thank you very much, Ahka! :o)

(Accepting compliments is so hard for me! hee hee)

Kerri said...

Yes, Tara, I have to agree. I am lucky. He's the kindest man with the greatest sense of humor. I like to think I take after him. :o)

Jenny said...

Kerri, what a beautiful story and photo.

Thanks for trusting enough to share.

**hugs** on National Hug Day!

Kerri said...

Ooooooooohhhh, I want so much to say what I really think of the photo...but am fighting the urge.

Thanks, Jayleigh, glad you liked it.

Aimee said...

Ok, can I just say, I think it's HILARIOUS that you took a picture of his shoes. Seriously HILARIOUS!!!

Also, we've talked before about you posting your picture, and you've always been hesitant, so seeing this picture was even more special. I don't care how bad you may be at taking compliments, you look BEAUTIFUL! :)

And your dad is one lucky man to have you.

Kerri said...

Thank you, Aimee. :o)