Monday, January 17, 2005

Prophetic Mini-Story

The following is a writing assignment from college. I tend to save way too many things and found this when I was looking through some old paperwork on Sunday. The assignment was to write a mini-story of 100-250 words. The only rule was that it had to begin with "They had nothing to say to each other."

They had nothing to say to each other. Their anger had been stewing all day. When Chantell arrived home from work, she walked straight to the bedroom without so much as a glance in his direction. She lay there in the dimly lit room trying so hard to hang on to her anger.

Then it hit her; an aroma from the kitchen. John always knew how to make peace. He had the knack for doing just the right thing just when it mattered most. It wasn’t always a cooked meal, but he must have known that she skipped her lunch break that day. She doesn’t eat when she’s angry.

The noises coming from the kitchen softened her. She cried quietly to herself; no longer angry, but ashamed.

She should have been the one to take the first step. Her stubbornness stopped her. It always does. The tears kept falling as she tried to figure out what she did to deserve him. He treats her so well even when she acts so childish.

John knew better than to force her to talk. He suspected she was crying and wanted so much to comfort her. He quietly entered the room. He sat beside her and without saying a word, took her hand.

Their eyes met and spoke to each other. They were both now certain that the fight was over. They both knew they would talk about it later. But for now, they had nothing to say to each other that they didn’t already feel.



I don't consider myself a writer by any stretch of the imagination, but upon finding this was amazed at how prophetic it turned out to be. Michael and I didn't really have a fight today...just a minor disagreement. He thought I should drag my butt out of bed and get to work and I disagreed. I gave into him eventually, but was not a happy camper because I did not sleep well at all last night. I refused to come home for lunch so he brought lunch to me. I tried so hard to hold a grudge, but wasn't able to. He's just too darn nice to me. He treats me so much better than I deserve most days. I am the luckiest woman alive to have found a man like him and I thank God every day for bringing us together. He always knows what to do to make me feel better. Even if it's to just keep coming by me. He apologized for making me go to work when I should have apologized for being so cranky. When I tried, he said, "I should have realized how tired you were. I made you cranky by insisting you get up." Sometimes it seems as if I can do no wrong in his eyes. A lot of times it feels as if I'm not doing anything right. But it's been 12 and a half years...almost 15 if you count the 2 years we dated...and he's still here.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Kerri, I love the story you wrote! Your and Michael's relationship sounds like such a comfort to you. God bless you both.

Kerri said...

Really, Jayleigh? hehe, thanks. :o)

Anonymous said...

I liked your story you wrote, but, I like what you said about your hubby...the Lord continue to bless you both..I'm glad you're my internet friend..:-)

Kerri said...

Thank you! :o)

It's funny, that sometimes I forget we're "internet" friends! After speaking on the phone and exchanging gifts and letters, it feels like so much more. Especially since it's been so long! hehe