Friday, January 14, 2005

What an Amazing Show!

This man has visited our little island before. The last time he did, I was a Junior in high school. I didn't remember his name, but recognized his face as soon as I saw the flyers that had been posted around town.


He was standing in the middle of the floor waiting to be honored by one of our local dance groups. Posted by Hello

He is a very nice man with a wonderful sense of humor. His goal is "to raise awareness of the Oneness we share as human beings." He uses his dance to express his belief in the unity of human kind.


He was able to make many different shapes using as many as 28 hoops. Posted by Hello

He created flowers, butterflies, stars, a soaring eagle, and his dance concluded with all 28 hoops interlocked in a spherical union illustrating the interdependence we all share and cannot truly live without.


He was constantly moving...and each shape he created had a meaning. His entire dance was a story. Posted by Hello

The hoops represent Unity, while the four colors of the hoops (black, red, yellow and white) represent the four human races, the four directions, the four seasons, four winds, and more.


Here he is playing one of the many flutes he brought with him. Posted by Hello

Even the holes in his flutes are symbolic. There are 6 holes that create 7 differnet notes. 4 of the holes represent the directions (N, S, E and W), one represents the Heavens, another the Earth. The 7th note represents where all come together in each of us: our heart.


As a finale, he taught some of the children a few tricks. Some of them did very well for a first try! Posted by Hello

In the end, a wonderful time was had by all. I was so glad to have been able to witness such a wonderful and meaningful event. The first time I saw it, I think I was too young to really get a grasp on what he was trying to teach me. This time, however, I took hold and don't plan on ever letting go.

7 comments:

Kate said...

That is so COOL! Yeah... if I get the chance I will for sure see I hoop dance!

Unknown said...

very, very cool. thanks for sharing this.

*hugs*

Kerri said...

Kate, you will not be disappointed!

Vadergrrl, what a nice surprise! Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you found this post interesting. :o)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the pics and the story behind the hoops and flutes...thanks

Kerri said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. I was more than happy to share! :o)

Aimee said...

Oh my god; I think I've seen this guy!

Every year in early fall our local tribes (mostly Miwok and Coast Miwok, but also some others) come together with our community college and host a "Day Under the Oaks" (it used to be called "Indian Summer Days", but I guess that's not PC anymore). There are dance performances and competitions, art displays, foods (mmmmm), and more. I'm abotu 99% sure I saw THIS GUY once! It was about 9 yrs ago though, so I could be mistaken...

Kerri said...

He's been doing this for about 30 years so you very well may have. His name is Kevin Locke.