Wednesday, July 27, 2005

My Poor Baby!

This picture has nothing to do with my post...but it looks peaceful and I need that right now.


Lucione left for camping today so I was "supposed" to be able to get some sleep and rest before Michael comes home.

I was in bed when the phone rang around 11:40PM. It was one of the people in charge of the camp. She said they had to take Lucione back from across the bay because she "bit a hole in her lip" and wanted to know if I wanted them to call the clinic. I told her yes and that I would meet her there.

My hands immediately started to shake. I felt queasy and wobbly. I called my nephew and asked him for a ride to the clinic. He has to work tomorrow but he was nice enough to not only bring me up there, but wait for us and bring us back home.

Once I saw Lucione I knew she would be okay. I had imagined it much worse than it was. She had a hole on the outside of her lip and another inside, but she didn't bite through. They were two separate holes.

They were playing Sneak...on the beach and in the woods...in the dark. She was walking, but couldn't see the ground very well. She tripped and fell up against a tree. She was bleeding pretty good and got shaky so they rushed her back to town.

Once in the emergency room, the PA (who happens to be my niece and Lucione's cousin) cleaned the wounds and decided she needed stitches. Lucione doesn't like needles and needed a lot of shots to numb her lip so she was understandably upset. I let her squeeze my hand and I stroked her hair and talked quietly and as calm as I could trying to keep her relaxed.

She got 3 absorbable stitches on the inside of her lip (which looks like the top now because it's still swollen) and one on the outside. She's in the shower now washing her blood off of her neck and then we've got to ice her lip. Tomorrow we have to go back to the clinic for a wound check and she's thinking she might want to go back out camping. There's a boat leaving at 5PM tomorrow.

I'll have to see what the doctor says, I guess. I don't really want her to go but she was so looking forward to this trip. The thing is, she's on antibiotics so I think she might be better off staying home. I'll feel bad telling her because I know she will be heart-broken but I really think it's best.

I'm so glad it wasn't worse than it was. That's the first time I witnessed someone getting stitches and maybe because it was my baby it made me feel a bit queasy at first. Normally blood doesn't bother me. But I got really hot and nauseous for a minute or two.

I'm so proud of her. She came through like a champ. I hope she heals fast so she can put this behind her. Ahh, who am I kidding? I want her to heal fast because I can't stand the idea of her hurting.

Now it's time to tuck her in.

6 comments:

Sandy said...

oh poor baby! You are so good to her...it's good she has you : )

Jenny said...

Kerri you're such a good Auntie-Mommy. It's too bad about L's lip, but she'll heal up just fine. BTW why did they call you and not her parents?

Michael is home TODAY! GOOD FOR YOU! I bet ya can't wait, huh?

Lois Lane said...

Awww. Poor kid. I hope she is doing better today. And I hope the homecoming is better than you could have imagined! Look, you made it through!
Lois Lane

Kerri said...

Thanks, Sandy. Ya know, I hear that a lot but the reality of it is, I'm lucky to have her. Even when she was an itty bitty thing, she knew me the best. Without me having to say a word, she just knows when I need the extra hug or a bit of cheering up. We've always been extremely close.

Jayleigh, her lip looks a lot better already. They didn't call her parents because they are out on the waters fishing. They left Saturday and I'm not even sure when they'll be back. Lucione's been staying with me since before Michael left. Michael's jet lands at the airport in 53 minutes. hehe

Lois, she is doing so much better. She's able to chew now without her big lip getting in the way. hehe Yes, I made it through. Now I just have to do it a million more times. haha

steve said...

I love your picture (the little rah rah girl) It makes me smile every time.

Tee/Tracy said...

Awh :( So hard to watch something like that. She was lucky to have you there. I hope it heals fast.