Tuesday, December 06, 2005

I Have a Headache

We had a minor catastrophe in our building on Sunday. Well, it’s minor to me. I suppose it was quite major to the people it affected directly.

The water pipes in the ceilings of two of our classrooms burst open and flooded the classrooms. Lindsey’s classroom and the science lab are now off limits. In order to be able to continue on, they’ve moved the science classes into the tutoring room and Lindsey’s class into the Reading room.

That means that the Reading teacher is without a classroom. Now she holds her reading classes in the library in the morning and here in the computer lab in the afternoon.

That leaves me with no place to be in the afternoons.

I guess I can maybe ask around to see if any classrooms need a volunteer 3 afternoons a week. Best case scenario is the classrooms will be repaired and able to be used by the time we return from our Christmas holiday. Worst case scenario…the end of February.

I don’t really mind sharing my room. I feel bad for the reading teacher, though. She’s got what she considers her most important things here in my classroom, but most of her stuff has just been shoved into the corners of her classroom so that Lindsey’s class could move in. Poor thing.

As if work wasn’t stressful enough, I just found out that one of my nieces was caught drinking last night and after being returned home, she snuck back out. She’s going to be 21 next month, but alcohol is illegal here. Had she been caught, she would have ended up in jail; where one of my nephews found himself last night. He can’t be released until 2PM today and the truck he was driving (my father-in-laws) is impounded until the 12th.

Michael was in a mood last night so we didn’t have a very good conversation. I really hope he’s in better spirits today. I won’t tell him about our niece and nephew. Not until I know he’s gotten a handle on whatever it is he’s dealing with down there. I think being away from home so much is finally having an effect on him. Now that the novelty of having restaurants, movie theaters, and shopping have slightly worn off, he’s become more moody. Normally I can tell him a story about Lindsey or Lucione and get him laughing again but last night it didn’t work. Hopefully, his upcoming visit will be long enough to recharge him.

I have a class coming in a few minutes. I’ve got to give them a test so I better start preparing. I hope you all are having a wonderful day.

6 comments:

Connie Marie said...

Alcohol is such a trouble-maker.

Fizzy said...

I am sorry about the flooding. What a long time to have to wait.

I hope that Micheal cheers up when you next see him

Fizzy said...

I meant speak to him , I am sorry. Look after yourself

Tee/Tracy said...

That's awful about the pipes and flooding :p What a pain. The news about your niece and nephew is even worse. I hope things get better and Michael will be more cheerful on his next visit.

{HUGS}

Is alcohol illegal in all of Alaska or just within certain communities? I never heard this before.

Jenny said...

Yikes! I hope things are better now.

**hugs**

Fizzy said...

You are welcome ... I left a comment down there. Look after yourself. Thanks for your comments