Thursday, March 31, 2005

Kids Say the Darndest Things

I guess it's finally time to admit my baby is growing up. True, Lucione is not MY baby. I did not give birth to her. But she's spent the majority of her life with me. So much so, that she sometimes feels like mine. Others have, and still do, mistake her for mine.

She still likes to cuddle up with me when we watch TV. She still likes to have tickle fights. She still can't leave my house without a goodbye kiss and hug and a shout of "I love you more!" She's still my baby.

But...her birthday is coming up. April 14th. I asked her what she wanted for her birthday.

"I want a razor."

"A what?!"

"A razor. But I promise if you get me one, I won't use it till like a week after my birthday."

I was speechless. I think I was around the same age when I started to think about things such as shaving my legs. I just never thought her turn would come so soon. I told her I wasn't going to buy her a razor because her mom already knows she wants one and she doesn't need more than one. I wasn't about to admit I didn't want her to grow up.

"Okay, then can I have some Mini-Mart gift certificates?"

That I can handle. A few certificates so she can buy a hamburger or rent a movie. I'll buy her 10 if she wants them. haha

*********************************************

The other day in school, we had Craig in science class. It was a "filler" day, meaning we had to make up a quick lesson because the seeds we needed for their plant lesson hadn't arrived. We started by introducing isotopes to the kids. They were looking at a poster with 4 different isotopes on it and were asked to list things that were similar or different between them.

One of the kids said they all have shells. Craig said, "Oh, you mean exoskeletons?" We hadn't discussed the term exoskeleton with this class before so the other teacher and I were surprised.

After the isotope lesson, we had some free time so we read the book, "What is a Bellybutton?" together. If you're not familiar with it, it's a book full of questions kids may ask about their bodies. What is a belly button? Why doesn't it hurt to cut my hair?

We discussed the question, "Why do I have to get shots when I'm not sick?"

The other teacher tried to explain that we need to get immunizations in order to keep from getting sick. She said, "The shots have a little bit of the germs in them so our bodies can develop 'germ killers'. That way, if we ever do get sick, the 'germ killers' will help us get well."

Craig asked, "Don't you mean 'white blood cells'?"

The teachers jaw just about hit the floor.

***************************************************

Here's another Craig story I forgot to share a couple weeks ago. It was time for them to go back to their classroom after their science lesson. The other teacher said, "Okay, if you're wearing pink, you may line up."

One of the boys said, "Aww, man! That means only girls get to line up first!"

Craig looked at him, raised a finger in the air and said, "Well, ya know...it takes a TRUE man to wear pink!"

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh those kids are too sweet!!

Your dad reminds me of my own when he had his heart attack 10 years ago. He loved messing with the O2 monitor and the nurses came running.

Take care and good to have you back!

Kerri said...

Thanks, Jayleigh...it's good to be back. Hopefully, I won't be catching any more bugs because I'm so tired of being sick!