Thursday, March 03, 2005

Three More Sleeps

There are 3 more sleeps until my niece comes home from medical school to intern at our clinic. That means 3 more sleeps till I can give her children back. I haven't had them this entire time. Their grandmother, my sister-in-law, has. She's down in Seattle this week helping her daughter pack up while she's busy at school taking tests and such.

I talk about this particular niece and nephew a lot (more the niece) but they've never stayed with me before. I am finding it difficult because I can tell that they pretty much run their own household and that's not how things work around here. They are not bratty. Not by a long shot. What they are, are creatures of habit. By the time they understand that my house is NOT gramma's house so things do NOT run the same here, it will be time for them to go home.

James is in 3rd grade. He is used to having things done for him. We didn't have school today so I let him move at his own pace for the entire morning. When he finally decided to take his shower (well after 11AM) it took him 3 tries to start it...and then Michael STILL had to go in to help him. He then had to go in again to turn off the water. Janelle was running her own showers at 5 years old. He can't do it at 9? He has no idea how to make a bed, either. His blankets are all different lengths and the top blanket is folded into a small square that sits right in the middle of the bed. I'm not trying to pick on him...I'm just surprised. He is far from independent. I'm not used to having to spell everything out for a child of his age. I have to tell him what to do, one step at a time, and even then, he always has a ton of questions.

"James, go brush your teeth."

"Okay, I brushed my teeth. Now what?"

"Put your pajamas on and read in bed for a few minutes."

"Okay, I have my pajamas on. Now what?"

"I told you...get in bed and read for a few minutes."

He goes to read...then comes out in about 10 minutes. "Okay, I read for a few mintues. Now what?"

"Go to sleep. I'll see you in the morning."

Every little task I ask of him goes the same way. Needless to say, today has been a long day.

His sister Alexys is adjusting better, but she's in 8th grade. I wouldn't have expected anything else. She is, though, fighting a cold and is supposed to go on a basketball trip tomorrow. I really hope she feels better because it would break both her heart and mine if she got worse and I had to keep her home.

So anyway, this explains my absence. I spend all my free time telling James what to do and can't find time to use the computer. The only reason I'm on now is because he is doing his homework. But since I've started typing this, he's been in 3 times to tell me he's not good at writing stories. I guess I should go help him. *sigh*

Just 3 more sleeps...

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Ohhhh Sweetie! You can make it, I promise. It's hard to take over someone else's kids, especially when you are not used to the way each other does things.

I didn't mean to pick on you when I IM'd you this afternoon. Just checking in to make sure you were doing OK.

**hugs**

3 more sleeps!

Kerri said...

We've decided that we aren't being punished enough. We're going to the basketball tournament to watch Alexys and Lucione play ball. 2 nights in a hotel with James. God help me...I'm going to need it!

Jayleigh, I didn't get your IM...so I didn't feel you were picking on me. I'm sorry I missed you. I didn't respond, did I? Hopefully not...'cause that would mean someone is impersonating me. *gulp*

Jenny said...

Nope, no response.... until last night when we had a long-ish conversation. And I'm QUITE sure that was you! ;-)

Have a great weekend, my dear, and enjoy Monday going back to work!!!