Friday, March 18, 2005

Panic Attack is Over

Okay, here's the scoop:

My dad was experiencing a tightness in his chest along with some pain so he went to the clnic. They gave him nitroglycerin and the pain went away. That means something was going on with his heart.

They immediately decided to medi-vac him to town. Upon arriving at the hospital, they lowered his blood pressure, took about 5 vials of blood, and ran numerous tests on him until the wee hours of the morning.

He slept for just barely 2 hours and they woke him to give him a shot in his stomach in order to thin his blood.

There is some sort of enzyme in his blood that they do not like and are watching closely. Their next move will probably be a transfer to a hospital in Seattle so that they can run more tests. They want to do one where they insert a tube of some sort into one of his arteries to get a close-up look at his heart. They don't have the right equipment in town so he'd have to be sent to Seattle.

I've spoken to him on the phone and he sounds good...tells me he's okay...tells me not to worry or be alarmed if they send him south.

But he's my dad...of course he's going to tell me he's okay. He did sound good, though. It was so nice hearing his voice. When I posted lastnight I was in such a state of panic. I tried to go to bed and became an emotional wreck. I must have sobbed for an hour and a half before my husband was finally able to calm me down. Talking to my dad helped, though. I'm in a better state today. Just extremely tired. Don't tell me to get some sleep, though. It won't work. Everytime I start to drift off, the phone rings. Even if it doesn't, I can't let myself sleep because I don't want it to ring and not hear it.

It's going to be a long weekend. I can tell already. Please, if you have it in you, say a prayer for him.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Of course I'll say a prayer for him. :-) You are in my thoughts too. I hope you have a good day today.

*hug*

Jenny said...

Seattle is good. You WANT him to be in a place where they have properly trained doctors and technicians and the proper equipment.

They can take care of him a lot better if he's in a place where they are used to doing angiogram, angioplasty, bypass, etc.

**hugs**

You'll make it fine, Sweetie.