Friday, October 14, 2005

Build Me Up Buttercup

When Lindsey was a little girl, I'd say between 2 and 4, she had quite a temper. She was extremely active and not really "bratty", but was quick to let you know she wasn't happy when things did not go as she expected.

She'd try to curse and call you names when she got mad. She'd cry really hard and then just start spewing all of her "bad words" at you.

Funny thing was, she didn't know any bad words.

She loved being at my house. When it was time to go, she'd get upset. "I don't wanna go! You let me stay you watermelon! You're a meanie, you candy bar!"

Her favorite one, when she was really mad at you was, "Leave me alone, you big buttercup!"

She eventually outgrew it but we often talk about it. Especially when we want to embarrass her.

Michael thought it was so cute and has taken to calling me Buttercup when he wants to tease me.

One day he heard "Build Me Up Buttercup" on the radio. He instantly fell in love with the song because it reminded him of Lindsey. He now calls it my song...because I, thanks to Lindsey, am his buttercup.

When he left to start work in California, he said he was going to find the song on CD so he could listen to it more often. He was never able to find it. He kept asking me to and I kept ignoring him.

He figured it was a lost cause and all but gave up on ever finding the song on CD.

I secretly ordered it while he was away this last time and it arrived the same day he did. I purposely did not put the garbage out so that he would have to take it to the dump himself when he got home.

I raced to the truck before him and slipped the CD in to the player. When the song came on, I turned the volume way up and all he could do was smile.

"You ordered it?"

"Yeah, that's why I was ignoring you when you'd ask me to look online. I didn't know if it would get here in time."

So we listened to it a couple times last night and reminisced about how Lindsey used to curse at me. hehe

*******************************************

Speaking of Lindsey, here's another story for you.

We were in the library after school yesterday. She was coloring a picture of a frog and I was reading signs on our local tv station. I was singing "Five Green and Speckled Frogs" to her while she colored.

A sign on tv came up from the local hotel/restaraunt. It had a list of their daily specials. I read their special for Wednesday.

"Rib eye"

"Aunty Kerri, frog's don't say rib eye! They say ribIT!"

I cracked up laughing and tried to tell her that I was reading the tv. By the time she turned around, the sign had changed so she didn't see it.

"No it doesn't."

I insisted it did but she wouldn't believe me.

"You're funny, Aunty Kerri. I really wish you'd warn me when you're going to be this funny."

6 comments:

Connie Marie said...

That's a cute story of how you became a buttercup.

Kerri said...

Thanks, Connie. I almost hated to admit that was one of my nicknames...but the story behind it was just too cute. Your sister convinced me to share. :o)

Aimee said...

(I love that song!)

Kerri said...

Hi Aimee! I do, too. Especially when Michael sings alone. :o)

Jenny said...

I read this last night and was giggling and then on the verge of tears. You and M have such a special relationship and you and your nieces do, too.

**big hugs**

Aimee said...

Do you have any idea how it makes me smile when I hear how much you two love each other? Seriously--it kinda makes my all butterflyish in my stomach. :) I'm glad you guys took a night out last night.

Hugs.