Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Frustration

Another day, another storm. At least I was able to walk to school today. The wind calmed down but the rain was freezing cold.

     I just had a long talk with the science teacher. She had a couple parents show up at conferences who were quite upset about their child’s science grade this quarter. Trouble was, judging by the work turned in, these kids actually deserved F’s but were awarded D’s for “trying”.

     I can understand a parent not wanting their kids to have low grades, but they were not asking their kids “why” their grades were low. They just went to Ms. H and asked her why she didn’t do more to help them.

     Well, when your kid is not turning in their work, not asking for help, and not making an attempt to catch up when missing school, there’s not a whole lot you can do. Kids are given the opportunity to come in after school. They are given extra-credit opportunities. When they don’t take these opportunities, somehow it’s the teacher’s fault.

     I felt bad for Ms. H because this is her first year here. I know she would like to do more for these kids, but having 144 science students, you don’t always have the time to hunt them down or call every parent. Not only that, she’s also the Title I math teacher. She’s a busy lady. Parents don’t realize how much she actually has to do.

     In that respect, I’m glad I don’t give grades for my computer class. I would most definitely have parents in here upset with me.

     Parents are not involved enough at the elementary level. They don’t bother to come in and see how their children are doing throughout the quarter and then they are surprised when they don’t have the straight A student they think they should when report cards come out.

     And that’s just academically. Let’s not mention the behavior problems parents don’t believe their angels have. We’ve got kids who think it’s okay to mouth off to other students as well as teachers. I asked a kid one time to stop yelling at the kid next to him. You want to know what he did? He went home crying and said I threw his headphones at his chest really hard. I had the parent come in and show me how that could even be possible. The computers in this lab are all against the walls. When I’m talking to a student I’m standing behind them. If I wanted to throw something at them, which I would never do, it would hit them in the back of the head and not their chest. And the headphones? The cords aren’t even long enough for them to stand up while wearing them. It’s not possible to throw them.

     I’m sorry, it’s just frustrating sometimes and I needed to vent. I’m done now. *Taking deep breaths.*

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Ohhh Kerri! **hugs**

I know it's really frustrating. But tomorrow's Wednesday and you'll soon be relaxing for a nice weekend.

;-)

Aimee said...

2 thoughts:
Parents aren't involved enough at ANY level, not just elementary.

Yay you don't have to give grades! Thank god for small favors, huh?

Kerri said...

Actually, Akeskileut, my day wasn't all that bad. I just felt bad for Ms. H and it stirred up all the frustrations I try not to let myself get hung up on.

Thanks, Jayleigh. You're right...the weekend's almost here...which means this weeks almost over...which means Michael will be home NEXT WEEK! I love it when time flies. :o)

You said it, Aimee. I am very thankful indeed!