Thursday, October 06, 2005

Secrets

Jayleigh has a post on her blog about being expected to do something and then not doing it and the guilt that ensues. Her “something” has to do with money. She was given money for a specific purpose and used it for something else.

She asked us to think of a time when we did the same thing and tell her about it (as a way to appease her guilt, hehe). I tried and tried to think of something but couldn’t remember a time where I was given money for a certain thing. I’ve received money, but never with the instruction to use it for anything in particular.

I do have a huge secret, though. One that haunts me from time to time and I have no idea what to do about it.

When Michael and I first married, we spent about a month living with his parents. We had a house lined up before we got married but the move-in date was pushed back due to unforeseen circumstances so his parents offered to let us stay with them.

It was during this month, while Michael was working night shift, that his mother shared a secret with me; a secret that she hadn’t shared with anyone, including her husband and their children.

I was sworn to secrecy at least until the time of their deaths. She said, “If you decide to tell my children, please wait until Dad and I have passed because Dad doesn’t even know and I don’t want him to know I’ve kept this from him.”

Talk about being put on the spot. That was 13 years ago. I still haven’t told anyone. Not even Michael. Every time I think about it, it kills me because I don’t keep secrets from him.

This isn’t a small secret, either. It’s major; something that will change the lives of Michael and his family completely should they find out.

I thought I was going to be able to tell it here, but part of me doesn’t want to. If I let myself tell it on here, would that make it easier for me to tell someone before it’s time? Will I even be able to tell them once their parents are gone?

I sometimes wonder why she put this on me. I’m wondering if she didn’t want to be the one to tell and thought for sure I’d tell Michael. Then the burden would be on him to tell the family and not her. After only being her daughter-in-law for one month, could she have really trusted me enough to follow through with her wishes?

I don’t mean to tease you with it. I’m just trying to come to terms with it. Not that I expect his parents to die soon…I’m just trying to figure out what the right thing to do is. I mean, they’re a happy family without knowing. How different will it be for them to know? What if they become unhappy…and I’m the one who delivered the news? I don’t know that I can live with that.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh my. Kerri. What a horrible position to be forced into.

Here are the things I'm thinking about:

1. As you said, why after being married to your son for a month, did she feel safe enough to tell you this huge secret?

2. I feel like she thought you'd blab the secret and she'd be off the hook from having to see the horror in her son's eyes, knowing whatever-it-is that she didn't have the guts to tell him.

3. After this much time has gone by, I'd pretend I never knew. OK, no. I would have told my hubby back then, no matter how hard it was. But I guess the real question is, do they *really* NEED to know? Will the EVER find out?

**hugs**

I so feel for you. It's such a horrible dilemma.

Lois Lane said...

As bad as I would want to know, a secret is a secret.
Have a great weekend!
Lois Lane

Tee/Tracy said...

Wow - you are in a hard spot.

I don't keep secrets from hubby either... infact, not really from anybody. If you ask me a question I'll tell you. I try not to keep anything in my closet - that way no one has anything against me.

As for money... I can't think of anything. I'm sure there were times as a teen, my Mom would give me money for jeans or something and I'd go to the store and buy the cheapest ones so I had leftover for fun stuff. LOL. Stuff like that.... Sometimes when the kids get money for their birthdays we won't give it directly to them - we'll use it for something boring like shoes that they need and say the shoes are from Grandma so and so. LOL.

Sandy said...

Very tough. I would have first told her that I will not hide anything from my husband and so if she tells me, assume the husband will know. Then it is up to her to continue or not.
But since you can't go back and say that...
wait, does Michael even KNOW you have this secret? Did you promise her you wouldn't tell?
How about if you have a talk with her and tell her what a burden it is to you and that you'd wish it would be out in the open (if that's the best thing???)
Well, good luck

Connie Marie said...

Carries in a new, bigger & better plug for kerrie's mouth.... tosses the old one into the burning pile.

Sounds like a bridge that needs to burn, burn, burn!

... me? secrets? I would tell you but then.. it would not be a secret anymore!

Notice I am using my only name? I feel like I changed into some bigger pants and a nice loose shirt!

Kerri said...

Akeskileut, I can tell you that you most definitely do NOT want something like this hanging over your head...or anywhere in the vicinity. It's not an easy burden to bear.

Jayleigh, it's not something that they NEED to know...but it is definitely life changing and I think it's something I'd want to know about if it were me.

Lois, yes that's true. A secret is a secret. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so darn trustworthy.

Tee, at the time I thought I was doing the right thing by obeying her wishes. Now I wish I had done what was in my heart to do, which was spill the beans to Michael the second he came home from work. As more time went by, the worse I felt that I didn't tell him to begin with. Which adds to the guilt of the whole situation.

Sandy, Michael has no idea I'm keeping anything from him and it tears me up to think about it. It's been so long that I probably won't say anything...ever.

Connie, I'm glad you are feeling comfortable now. :o)

Jenny said...

Kerri, it breaks my heart that you just have to bear the burden. I know if it was me, my hubby would understand... but not everyone is that forgiving.

**hugs**