Monday, November 28, 2005

A Long Post About a Long Weekend

Michael was supposed to get home on Tuesday but due to circumstances that should NOT have been beyond his control, he didn’t quite make it. The weather was atrocious so he may not have made it, anyway. He came in on Wednesday afternoon and is leaving any minute now.

We spent Wednesday evening baking pie. We only did pumpkin because we knew it would be just the two of us and that he’d be leaving soon. We still ended up with too much pie.

Thursday we started out watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and then proceeded to prepare Thanksgiving dinner. Again…way too much food for just the two of us. We knew we were going to have dessert with his sisters so we had a piece of pie for lunch. Hehe The wind was howling the entire day and I kept finding myself praying that the lights would not go out. The house was literally shaking from the strong gusts of wind.

We had a nice visit with his sisters. Mikayla was playing with Michael for over an hour before she came over to me and asked, “Aunty Kerri, who’s that guy behind you?”  We watched the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving program with them before we left. It seemed to be Craig’s first time seeing Peanuts on TV. He said, “Wow! This is even funnier than the comic!”

Friday we spent the entire day decorating. We put lights up in the windows, around the roof, around the living room ceiling, and all down the hallway. We also put the tree up, but didn’t decorate it until last night. I set out a few of my musical figures but still need to put out my bears.

Saturday we were supposed to go to Town for the day. We ended up spending a night over there. We bought the ingredients I’ll need to make cookies and fudge, my 2005 Christmas bears, a few Christmas gifts, and went to see Harry Potter.

Yesterday after returning from Town, we decorated the tree. Space Cadet brought Lucione and Lindsey over to visit their uncle. They played I Spy with my Christmas tree ornaments. They’ve been doing that ever since they were old enough to recognize the characters. My tree only has Disney ornaments and balls. The only items on the tree that are not Disney are the tree tops.

Yes, that’s tree topS, as in more than one. When Lucione was about 7 years old, she made an angel tree top for us. She drew it, cut it out, put it together, and wrapped it all by herself. It took her almost an entire day. When we bought the star for the tree this weekend, I hadn’t intended to use the angel this year. But after I looked at it, I didn’t have to heart to keep her packed away. Now she sits on top of the star.

Michael just called. There are no planes flying today so he’ll have to get on the ferry. That will get him to Town too late for his flight. I hope they can put him on a different flight. He’s never been late returning to work. I’m not sure what they’ll do.

Now that I’m back at work, I’ve got to start testing again because the semester is over in 3 weeks. I’ve just administered the first of a total of 19. If all goes as planned (it never does), I’ll have it all complete by December 13th. December 16th is our last day before Winter Break and Michael comes home on the 20th.

This will be his longest trip away, but when he comes back he’ll be here for 2 weeks. I was wanting to go down and visit him in January, but now I’m not so sure that’s going to work out. He already has his tickets home. We’ll have to see if the company will be willing to change it.

I’ve got 2nd grade now, they need my attention so I better get going. I’ll post some pictures soon. If I have your address, be on the look-out for a card from me soon. :o)

8 comments:

Tee/Tracy said...

Sorry your time with Michael couldn't have been longer but it sounds like a you had a nice time, anyway. I missed Peanuts :p Infact, I can't find a lot of my favorite seasonal shows this year.

I want to see a picture of your tree! That's cool that they play I Spy with it.

How was Harry Potter?

Jenny said...

I'm so glad you had a nice time together.

**hugs**

Connie Marie said...

Home made ornaments are the best. I love getting out Christmas every year, I pack some of the years before memories and when I open up the boxes, I enjoy each memory they bring.

You need to post a picture of the tree. I want to see it too!

k8 said...

we used to do i spy w our tree! fun! do you have any aladdin ornies? it's my faaaave.

Kerri said...

Akeskileut, have you started decorating yet? It's almost December, ya know! :o)

Tee, I'll take pictures today after school. I meant to last night but I'm pretty much useless on the day Michael leaves. I don't usually feel like doing much of anything.

Harry Potter was good...sad, but good.

Thanks, Jayleigh. 3 weeks and counting...

Connie, the angel is the only home made ornament I have. Probably because I don't have kids and all of the ones I made as a kid are up in my dad's attic. Pictures tonight...I promise. But my tree doesn't even come close to looking as nice as yours.

k8, I do have Aladdin ornaments. I don't know that I have any on the tree, though. We're using an artificial tree this year so I couldn't even use half my ornaments.

Fizzy said...

I am so glad that Micheal finally got home. But am so sorry it was only for a short time.
Roll on your two weeks together.

Your tree sounds brill. We do not decorate for another week or so - mid December. I don't know what I am going to do about trees this year.

Look after yourself and I hope the testing goes smoothly

Connie Marie said...

... walks in from akeskileuts blog still chanting. Looks around and begins chanting again!

We want more! We want more!

Kerri said...

Connie, your wish is my command! hehe

We did things backwards this time, Akeskileut. I'm supposed to tell YOU when it's time to post! :o)