Saturday, September 25, 2004

Count Your Blessings One By One

Day by day
Day by day
Oh Dear Lord
Three things I pray
To see thee more clearly
Love thee more dearly
Follow thee more nearly
Day by day

These words are lyrics from a musical called Godspell. I didn’t know that until I started singing to myself today and did a Google search to figure out what it was I was singing. I’ve never seen this musical so I don’t know how I know this song. I’m guessing I must have sung it as part of the choir in Jr. High or High School.

Anyway, I’m alone at home today because my husband is working. I haven’t been watching TV lately so it is very quiet in my house. It’s given me opportunity to just be alone with my thoughts. I was getting to a point where I was starting to feel hopeless. My uncle is sick, my sister is in the hospital and may be crippled for the rest of her life, I’m still not quite over my cold, and on and on and on. I found myself focusing on what was wrong with my life rather than what was right.

I’ve had a lot to deal with lately, but that doesn’t mean I’m leading a miserable life. I decided to take an inventory of my blessings, if you will, and this is what I came up with.

• Although I’ve had a cold the past week or so, I am in good health. I don’t have any serious medical problems to speak of and for that, I’m grateful.

• I have a job that I love. I wasn’t too sure about it when the school year started because of all the changes, but I’ve decided to embrace the changes and make the most of it. I’m having a great time and it’s nice to see the kids outside of the computer lab.

• I couldn’t have asked for a better husband. My friends say I’m spoiled. I say I’m “well taken care of.”

• I live in one of the most beautiful places I know. Not just because of the scenery, but because of the whole feel of it. We’re a small, tight-knit community and we always look after our own.

• I have a huge extended family so I’ve always got love and support when I need it most.

• I get along very well with my husbands family, too. They treat me like I am one of them and I have never felt out of place in their presence.

• I have friends who, knowing all my faults, love me for who I am and never fail to catch me when I stumble and fall.

• I have a roof over my head and it happens to be my maternal grandmother’s house. I still remember the day I said goodbye to her. We put her on a plane to Seattle for cancer treatment and she passed away in the hospital. Living in her house brings comfort as it is a constant reminder of my carefree childhood days.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

When we were first married, Rob and I lived in my paternal Great-Grandma's house (dad's dad's mom) -- I was trying not to have to say that. lol And I always loved walking in the back door when it was my house, because I remembered that Zella-the-Great kept candy corns in a tin in the drawer underneath the stove.

Kerri you have the best attitude. I am glad you had time to yourself; we all need that sometimes. You are incredibly blessed, as am I.

Rob says he feels like we're on the edge of some huge blessings. I think so too, and I can't wait to know what they are! Hope is high right now. I feel like a Pollyanna sometimes, thinking such great things and being so happy, but it's hard to peel myself off the ceiling when I think about how wonderful the Lord is to us.

Don't get me wrong. I bellyache with the best of 'em.

Kerri, I count "meeting" you as a great blessing in my life. **hugs**

Kerri said...

{{{Jayleigh}}} thank you so much for your kind words. :o) You flatter me and I hope you know I feel the same.