Tuesday, September 28, 2004

The Gorilla

I almost didn't post today but I didn't trust myself to skip just one day. I'm exhausted. It's been a long day. Not just for me. My husband worked 11 hours straight today - from 9AM till 8PM. Tomorrow he's looking at a 14 hour day. He'll start at 6AM and work till dark, which is around 8PM.

He's working construction. He's driving a dump truck hauling rock. They're building a jetty. He enjoys driving, but the hours are not regular. Because of the job they're doing, they've had to work with the tides all summer so some days he'd work 4 hours, and some, like this week, considerably longer.


This is where they are building the jetty. Posted by Hello

I took this picture about a month ago. The pilings in the background are what remained of a wooden breakwater that used to be there. They are pulling them out of the water as they get to them. We already have 2 breakwaters here on the island but this being a fishing community, we have outgrown them.

My husband and I (and other members of our community) call the mountain in the background "The Gorilla." To us, it looks as if a gorilla is lying on its back. Do you see his profile?

We also have a mountain that has a profile of George Washington. I'll take a picture of that and post it some day. It's best to get a winter photo so George will have his white hair. :o)

I'm off to bed now. Goodnight.

6 comments:

Kate said...

It is a beautiful picture. Oh how I love Alaska. I'm sure your husband and his crew will do a wonderful job.

I understand skipping a day. It's hard to get back into writting in a daily journal is you miss a day.

I'm still trying my best to have the best dance ever. We'll see if it happens though. As you could probably tell from my blog... I'm a little upset about the run around that I'm getting. ha.

:-)

Anonymous said...

I have faith in you...you'll do the best you can with what you're given. That's what counts in the end! Thanks for visiting, Kate.

Kerri said...

Oops! That's what I get for sneaking in a little blog time at work. The above comment was NOT anonymous, it was ME! hehe *blush*

Jenny said...

That is awesome, it DOES look like a gorilla. Speaking of, I have a huge Russian Blue kitty named Clarence and we always call him our little Silver Back (gorilla).

Hope you're having a great day!

Kerri said...

Phew! I'm so glad you ladies can see it! Least now I know we're not seeing things. Ha!

Kerri said...

Jayleigh, seems we keep finding little similarities the more we comment on each others blogs. Even down to giving things gorilla related nicknames. :o)