Thursday, September 02, 2004

It's all in how you look at it.

There's a lady I have to work closely with on a daily basis. The last hour and a half of my day is spent with her. We get along, for the most part, but there is one thing about her that bugs me. She complains about everything. It doesn't matter if we're talking about work or our personal lives. There's always something to complain about.

I always try to point out the positive side of things to her. Sometimes she hears me but not always. I know it's not always easy to find the silver lining, but I always at least try.

I think it was Maya Angelou who said something like:
"What you're supposed to do when you don't like a thing is change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

Kinda like, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." I'm getting better about thinking positive about things. I slip every now and then, but I am making an effort. I'm no Pollyanna but I try not to let myself get carried away with complaining.

After all, I've got my health. I've got my husband and family. I've got friends. I've got a job which gives me the means to put food on the table and clothes on our backs. I've got a roof over my head. I have a lot to be thankful for.

Even on a day like today, when I feel drained and I'm dreading the 6:00 alarm that will wake me in the morning, I am blessed.

I hope you realize that you are, too.


No comments: