Monday, September 27, 2004

My Husband the Hero

My husband and I went for a drive on Sunday. The weather was beautiful. We stopped at a creek to watch the salmon swim upstream. It’s time for them to spawn. Unfortunately, the tide was low and because we had such a dry summer, the creek was not as full as it should have been. Most of the fish were able to find their way through the maze of tide pools and dry sand. There were some, however, that were not as fortunate. It’s sad, at least to me, to see a fish flopping in the sand suffocating out of the water. Some of them were able to find their way back to water no worse for wear, but there were a few that couldn’t manage no matter how hard they tried. After watching one lose its battle, my husband decided to go down to the waters edge. I thought he just wanted to get a closer look at the fish. I’ll be darned if he didn’t jump right in and start throwing fish back into the water. He’d save one and wait for the next one to get beached and then run over and save that one. He did this for a good 15 minutes or so before he got tired. He was feeling a little defeated because he knew that some would die after we left but I lifted his spirits a little by telling him how proud I was of him. It also helped to know the tide would be coming back up soon.

He’s a big guy and is pretty quiet out in public. People are sometimes put off by him because he doesn’t always look approachable. That tickles me because I know the real him. Call me selfish, but I’m kinda glad that they don’t. I’ve got a big huggable, lovable, cuddly teddy bear all to myself!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh that is so cool, Kerri. You are indeed the lucky one!

Kerri said...

I wish you could have seen him, Jayleigh. It was one of the few times we ventured out without the camera! :o(