Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Music

I just finished watching For the Boys. I think musicals are my favorite type of movie. Music has always been a big part of my life. My mom always sang in church. My aunt was the pianist of our church. My uncle was the choir director until he retired and my aunt took over. Two of my other aunts were singers.
I started singing in choirs when I was about 6. Mom would take me to choir practice with her. When she tells the stories, she says I was just as good as a tape recorder. I’d pick up on the songs quickly and remember them word for word, note for note. Once back home, my mom would practice and if she hit a wrong note or got the rhythm wrong, I’d be sure to correct her.
I couldn’t wait to get into Jr. High because I could join choir. I was in choir all through high school and in 3 choirs at college. One was the concert choir open to anyone interested in joining. The other two were by audition only. My only classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays were the two choirs I auditioned for.
All through high school and for a while after college I sang at almost every church service I attended. At the time, I went to the Assembly of God church and they had 2 services on Sunday, one on Wednesday evenings, and another on Saturday evenings. So I was singing approximately 4 times a week.
After I got married, I stopped. I’m not sure why. I think it may have had something to do with losing my aunts. When I thought of singing, I thought of them. I just couldn’t bring myself to sing without them.
Now, the only time I sing is when I’m alone or in my truck. Sometimes I catch myself singing along to whatever CD we have playing or the radio. My husband will turn up the music and when I ask if he’s trying to drown me out, he says, “No, I’m turning it up so you’ll sing louder.”
Anything having to do with music, I love. For the past 3 or 4 years, I've volunteered to play in an all alumni pep band at the high school basketball games. If I'm flipping channels and find a musical on, I always stop and watch. Anything from Hello, Dolly! to Sister Act. Musicals on stage are also favorites of mine. My mom was part of a theater group at a college near her home and she was in The Pajama Game, Flower Drum Song, Singin' in the Rain, and The Music Man.
When one of my cousins was 3, I taught her to sing Frosty the Snowman and her Headstart teachers were so impressed, she sang it as a solo at their Christmas program.
I guess the whole point of this that I love music. In any shape or form. I’m not sure why I just shared all that. I hope I didn’t bore anyone who happens to read this. :o)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should get your Aunt's together and start practicing so you can sing at church again or where ever!! Keep practicing. I enjoy your blogger's :-)

Kerri said...

I KNEW you were going to say that! :op

Kerri said...

Hi Tara,
I love Christmas songs, too. My husband laughs at me because I start playing my Christmas CD's on Nov. 1st. He always says, "It's not even Thanksgiving yet!"
"But," I tell him, "If I wait until after Thanksgiving, that only gives me one month to listen and that's not enough!"
He thinks I'm nuts, but oh well! At least I wait until after Halloween. hehe

(BTW, hope you don't mind being one of the first on my blog roll.)
:o)

Jenny said...

I agree with you on the cold weather and on the Christmas songs. I am a fan from way back.

My sis and I have sung together all our lives... that's one of those things I miss with her being so far away. Have you ever tried to harmonize with someone when you're both on cell phones? It lags just enough so it drives ya both crazy.

Sing again, Kerri.

Kerri said...

Hi Jayleigh,
Believe it or not, I'm in what has got to be the only place in America that doesn't have cell phone access. I've never owned a cell phone so haven't had the frustration of trying to harmonize on one. :o)
I do love harmonizing, though. Some of my first memories about singing are of being with my mom harmonizing to the Everly Brothers. She'd tell me which part to sing and she'd sing the other. Then in the middle of the song, she'd make me switch. It was always fun and it gave me a good ear for music. Now I can pretty much harmonize with anything I hear.

Kerri said...

Thanks Tara. I'll know more about my uncle tomorrow. They're still running tests on him.

Yay! I'm on somebody else's blog roll! hehe