Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Déjà Vu

I had the weirdest déjà vu today. I walked into my computer lab at the end of the day to pick up my belongings and head home. I saw our maintenance guy in there. He was removing some outlets that were in (on?) my floor because they’re never used and people are always tripping over them. I said hello and walked over to my desk. When I realized I hadn’t logged off my computer, I sat down in my chair. While I was there, the night janitor walked in. I watched him walk across the room and all of the sudden it was like I was watching a re-run on TV. I knew where he was going to stand and exactly how he was going to lean on the table. Even before he did it, I knew how he was going to lean over and look at what the maintenance guy was doing down on the floor.

The maintenance guy looked up and said, “I’m removing these outlets.”

“What for?” the janitor asked.

“Boss wants me to.” He replied.

It was so strange. I don’t know why it felt the way it did, but it gave me the chills. It couldn’t have happened before because in my 12 years at this job, those outlets have always been in the floor and up until a month ago, I didn’t even know the maintenance guy. He just moved to town in mid-August.

I got up and out of there as quick as I could. Too weird.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

That's actually fairly creepy. I think I would have gotten out of there, too.

Only one thing ever happened to me like that, and to this day I don't know if it really happened or not. I was watching some stupid daytime talk show, Montel Williams or something. I was sick and laying on the couch all morning and drifted in and out of sleep.

At about 20 minutes into the show, I woke up and sat up in the couch and started paying attention to the show and for the next 20 minutes, I experienced déjà vu. I knew the names of everyone being introduced, the questions asked by the audience... everything. It could have been a glitch with the TV station, but it never seemed like anything was cut out, and it didn't run over the allotted time.

So weird.

Kerri said...

I hate getting déjà vu like that. It's different when there's a possibility of something happening before. But in a situation like this, where there was no possible way it was just a normal memory, its creepy.