Monday, December 06, 2004

Musical Monday

I like my chin; it’s right below my nose.
I like my knees, my elbows and my toes.
My mouth can make a whistle when it blows.
I like, I like, like myself!

The computer lab is right next to the guidance counselor's office. The lyrics above are part of what I've been hearing for the past 20 minutes. It always takes a while for the Kindergarteners to learn a new song and I always end up learning it with them.

The 2nd quarter of school ends next week so I'm testing again. I told the principal this morning so he wouldn't get all shook up like last quarter. He looked sort of shocked. He either did not expect me to remember or the semester's end snuck up on him. Either way, the look on his face was priceless.

Our temps have been in the low 30's since late Friday night. I love this kind of weather. I'm hoping its cold for Christmas. I'm ready to give up on snow. It’s been teasing me for a month now. It works its way down the mountain and then disappears. It almost makes me wish I didn't live in this maritime climate at sea level.

Lucione's Christmas recital is tonight. She is extremely excited. I must say I am very proud of her. She chose the trumpet and stuck with it even when her classmates tried to tell her it was a "boy" instrument. She's pretty good at it, too. Last week she said her band teacher told her she should look into private lessons because she's so far advanced her classmates are holding her back. I told her she should be very proud of herself and she said, "I am! I'm good like you!"

I had the same problem when I was her age. I play the clarinet. I was in the Talented and Gifted program all through school. In 4th grade I got tired of doing science projects so switched to music. I chose the clarinet and picked up on it so quick my grandmother bought me a clarinet of my own. I still have it and play it occasionally. When I got in to junior high, I was further along than my classmates so went to high school band class instead. I participated in the junior high concerts, but I was sight reading. I didn’t rehearse with them.

Enough about me, though. Tonight is Lucione’s night. She even has a solo. She wouldn’t tell me what she’s playing…just that she had a solo. I’ll be taking both the digital and video cameras. Her grandparents are out of town so they’ll watch it when they get back on Thursday.

I better get going if I’m going to get the “good seats”.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Oh how exciting! I hope it's wonderful. Tell us all about it tomorrow, ok?

**Smooch**