Tuesday, August 17, 2004

2nd Day of Work

Today was my second day of work. I put in 7 hours. Not quite a full day, but pretty close. When school starts, I should average about 7.5 hours a day. The building is so quiet because the classroom teachers aren't back yet. They don't start till Monday. School for the kids starts on the 26th...a Thursday. That's the first time we've started so late in the week. I'm not sure what the reasoning is, but I'm sure I'll appreciate it when it comes time to deal with the kids. :o) They're always so hyper at the beginning of the year.
I've been watching a lot of the Olympics. It's amazing how things never go as expected. There is so much expected of these athletes. It's quite an accomplishment to get this far. People tend to forget that when the athletes don't win or place as high as we think they should. Take Phelps, for example. He is in 8 different events. There were some who expected him to win 8 gold medals. When he got a bronze, the interviewer asked him if he was disappointed. He said, "My goal was one gold. I got that, the rest is just icing on the cake. The rest is for fun." That's what the games should be all about. Too many times the commentators nit pick and point out all of the bad things. What about all the hard work and dedication it took to get there? A lot of these athletes are kids and young adults. They've already accomplished more than most of us just by getting there. Lets not focus on the controversy, but celebrate the fact that these people have dedicated their lives to a goal and are reaching for their dreams.

No comments: