Monday, August 23, 2004

My Work Day

Work day...HA! I didn't get one single thing accomplished today. I basically got paid to do nothin. Good news is, the breakfast went okay and the secretary kept her mouth shut about my birthday.

Bad news is, my job as I knew it no longer exists. I, for the past 8 years or so, have been in charge of the computer lab. The kids came to me last year every other day for 45 minutes at a time. So they all got at least 2 days in the lab each week. This year it's completely changed. The lab is only open from 8:30 to 9:30. I get two classes a day for half an hour each. That means that the kids only get to use computers ONCE a week...and only for 30 minutes! I was so upset when the prinicpal told me. I had no warning whatsoever. What do I do with the rest of my day, I ask.

"Oh! You get to be in charge of the library and help out the science teacher with technology stuff. The secretary will need your help, too, this year because she's learning a new system."

I don't know how to run a library. My field of expertise is not science. I just got a new scanner, two digital cameras, and a projector for the lab and then they take the kids out of computer class. The kids get tested each year in reading and math. State tests. So what are they studying? Science. Each class goes to science for an hour TWICE a week. Music is only once a week, PE is once a week, Library is once a week...it's crazy. The kids are not going to know what they're doing from one day to the next because their schedule changes daily. They took away my afterschool tutoring, as well. So I don't know what I'm going to be doing for the last hour of my day. I guess learning how to run a library.

Maybe once we get going I'll feel better about things...but right now I'm so upset. I feel like the kids are getting cheated. I normally don't mind surprises...but this one really threw me for a loop and I don't like that feeling one bit. I hope things work out okay.

No comments: