Monday, August 16, 2004

Stereo-Typing or Prejudice?

Either way, its irritating. Maybe I'm just overly-sensitive lately, but I was in a chat room tonight and after mentioning I was from Alaska, someone went on and on about a recent visit to this state. She's from Texas and said that she had spent an entire month visiting family on a military base near Anchorage and had seen many things she had never seen before. Thinking she meant moose and bears, I asked her what she had seen.
She said, "Well, first we went to Subway and saw a native eating out of a trash dumpster. Then he went and lay down behind it and went to sleep in broad daylight." She went on to say that she saw a native holding a sign on the side of the road begging for a rich man. She went on further to complain that she went to Wal-Mart and couldn't understand the natives who were working there. There was another lady in the room who lives in Anchorage and she said, "Most of the people working at the Wal-Mart are Filipino." So the Texas lady said, "Yeah, I saw a lot of them, too." She also said it was odd that there was a hospital there that only natives could go to.
That part is true, but the way she referred to it was shocking to me. If it weren't for this hospital, many natives would not have any kind of health care. A lot of villages are small and many natives live a subsistance lifestyle. This does not allow for a huge income to use for paying for medical insurance or for any type of medical or dental care. But I digress.
Why is it, that everything she found negative during her visit involved "natives"? I happen to be a native Alaskan and, although I knew she wasn't talking about me directly, it really irked me how she spoke so negative about natives. She put us all together in one big lump like we are all homeless and unable to speak proper English. She's probably telling this to all of her acquaintences which only irritates me more to think about it.
Maybe I'm just too sensitive right now. I know it was just a chat room...it was a person I've never met and never will...but it irked me nonetheless. Being in such an emotional state these past few days, maybe it's better I stay out of chat rooms. Good idea...now I must get some sleep. Only one more week until school starts. I have to get out of the habit of staying up so late. Starting tomorrow, of course.

No comments: