Monday, August 30, 2004

And so it Begins

Today was my first “normal” day at work. What that means, is it was my first day actually following my new schedule. I change classes every hour which will take some getting used to, but once I do, I may even enjoy it. The kids were funny…they’re so used to seeing me in the computer lab…then they walk into the science lab and there I am. Haha I wish I had a camera to catch some of those looks. Seeing me in the library wasn’t as much of a shock to them because I was sitting at the computer. They probably just thought I was fixing it or something. Next week they’ll be surprised that I’m still there. I still can’t get used to working until 4:00, but that, too will come in time.

I had first grade in the computer lab today. My nephew’s class. They are not very accomplished spellers yet, so are always asking how to spell. My nephew was using a program meant to teach about animals. The program has different activities. One of them allows the children to design a picture with animals and then write about their picture. My nephew was having so much fun designing his picture.

“Look, Aunty Kerri! I used all of my animals, even the panda bear!”

“Very good, what are you going to write about?”

“About my animals but I don’t know how to spell ‘Reptiles have cold blood’.”

“Do your best to sound out the letters and then I’ll help you.”

A bit frustrated, he turned back towards his computer and started to just press the keys.

As he was typing his nonsense, he let out this heavy sigh and said, “It feels like 2:30 and I wanna go home.”

I had to go out into the hallway because if I giggle and he hears me, he feels insulted. I didn’t want to insult him so stepped outside the door. His school day ends at 2:45 and it was only 9:30. I knew exactly how he felt. Haha I hope the rest of his day went better.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Your nephew sounds like a real sweetheart. I SO know the feeling.

Kerri said...

Thanks for visiting, Jayleigh! My nephew is a riot. The entire staff really enjoys him. He's one of those kids who always puts a smile on your face.