Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Bald Eagles


For a larger view, click the pictures.

Eagles are plentiful here. Almost as plentiful as oh, I don't know, pigeons, on some city streets. The difference is, Eagles don't crowd sidewalks or swarm you if you drop a crumb of food. You can, however, especially this time of year when the fish are swimming in the bay, look up at almost any tree and spot at least one.


I've lived here all my life yet the sight of one always takes my breath away. I can watch these majestic birds for hours. They soar high in the sky in a way that seems effortless. They swoop down to the water on what seems like a whim and with hardly a splash, snatch up their meal.

They're more than just a beautiful sight, though. To us, they are a symbol of one of our clans. Their feathers are used in regalia. Not like the big fancy feather head-dresses of other tribes, but they are used. Sometimes a solitary feather will hang from a robe blanket as a memorial to someone. Sometimes the end will be beaded and used during a dance...or hidden under the robe and occasionally used as a fan. Some women even wear them in their hair. The down is used in dances as a symbol of peace.


We have 4 main clans in our tribe. Eagle, Raven, Killerwhale, and Wolf. You are always the same clan as your mother. Michael is an Eagle. I am a Raven. Our families extend beyond our immediate relatives. Anyone in your clan is family. For that reason, there was a time where one could not marry a member of his own clan. It happens some nowadays but not too often. With inter-racial marriages becoming more common, this is one tradition that is sort of fading out.

I know I haven't mentioned my tribe's name. It's not that I don't want to share. I just don't want to do it here. I would like to maintain a sense (however false it may be) of anonymity. If you MUST know, hehe, send me an e-mail or an IM and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability. I'll try to think of more cultural things to post about. Thanks, Tee, for giving me blogging material! :o)

7 comments:

Aimee said...

I think it's cool you're both bird clans.

Any word on the job yet? It's not too late to come down for the weekend! ;)

Kerri said...

So do I, Aimee. My Yaya called us love-birds. hehe

No word on when he's leaving but the cardiologist gave him yet another clean bill of health!

If his birthday wasn't on Sunday I'd seriously consider a weekend getaway. I love SF. But my MIL would never forgive me for taking her baby boy away on his birthday. I still say it's ironic. It was so different when he was a child. But anyway....

Connie Marie said...

The only story about eagles that I can recall hearing in our village was the myth told to little kids ---that "if you are wearing red, an eagle will think it's blood and will swoop down to carry you off for food for it's babies".

When I was little, I remember crying while holding my jacket tightly shut because I saw an eagle soaring way up high. I was sure he saw me and would be carrying me off before I reached the safety of home!

I think the old people may have had a lot of entertainment watching the kids living so fearfully in reaction to superstitions like that in their daily lives!

Eagles are impressive! Homer has a lot of eagles during the winter months, but I think there is a bunch that feed them there.

Nice pictures!

Lois Lane said...

You are so lucky to see them in all of their glory. Great pictures thank you for sharing them.
Lois Lane

Tee/Tracy said...

Breathtaking photos Kerri! Eagles are so beautiful. Thanks so much for that post. It was really interesting. I loved hearing about the different clans. So neat! :)
((HUG}} You're the coolest :)

Jenny said...

Kerri, those pics are wonderful. Did you take them? I have only seen 1 eagle not in captivity. It lives in a wooded area about 5 miles from here as the crow flies... lol

When I was in 4th grade, my best friend was Raquel and she was 1/2 Native American. I always loved reciting her Tribe name with her. It was The Chippewa Swamp Creek Black River Band. Of COURSE on Thanksgiving we chose not to be pilgrims but to put on headbands with beads and feathers, and I made a "dress" out of a burlap feed sack. I wonder how many Native Americans ever wore a feed sack for clothes? LOL

Kerri said...

Awww, Alutiiq Chahuk...what a scary story to tell little children! We were told similar stories, but it was to watch our puppies and keep them on a leash...because the eagles might swoop down and pick them up.

Thank you, Akeskileut. They are very cool to watch.

Lois, we are lucky...and I never get tired of seeing them. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures.

Thank you, Stationery Queen. I'll try to remember to share things like this more often.

You're welcome, Tee. I'm glad you enjoyed them. You were my inspiration, ya know. For some reason, I had never even thought of sharing anything about my culture or heritage until you asked about my Yaya! {{hugs}}

Yes, Jayleigh, I took the photos. I don't think I've ever seen one in captivity. I imagine it would break my heart to see it. That's a cute memory about you and Raquel. I don't know about burlap sacks. haha Deer hide was better at resisting water, I think. ;o)