Thursday, June 02, 2005

Gifts

I did some Father's Day shopping today. It was almost an all day process. I had absolutely no idea what to give my step-dad. How sad is that? He's been my step-dad since I was a senior in high school and I know nothing about him. True, I used to go to my mother's each summer, but he was always busy. He was either out of town for business or riding/feeding his horses. We'd always invite him to come along but he always said Mom and I should have time alone. He only came along when there was food involved. haha

That got me thinking about the whole gift-giving process in general. Both my giving and receiving of gifts.

When it comes to giving gifts, Michael usually leaves that up to me. Mainly because, being the shopper that he is, he never knows when to quit. But also because he's pretty clueless about how to gift. He'd rather go into a store or open a catalog and buy a whole bunch of things and then figure out who gets what. I know who I'm shopping for before I even start and don't buy anything unless I'm positive they'll like it. I have a pretty good track record, too, if I do say so myself. (That is, of course, until it comes to my step-dad.)

Receiving gifts is usually a lot more fun. hehe What was the most memorable gift you received? When I thought about my gifts, I couldn't decide what my best gift has been.

I could say it was the watch I received from my dad the day I graduated from high school. He put it on the arm of a teddy bear. I was so tickled by the bear I almost didn't notice the watch at all. But then the sparkle caught my eye. I looked and was tickled to see a Mickey Mouse watch. On closer inspection, though, I realized that it was a gold nugget watch. A gold nugget Mickey Mouse watch! What a unique gift. I still have it and have never seen another.

That's a gift that's hard to top. But there are a few others that come to mind. A pair of shoes, for example. I complained that my shoes were becoming too worn and Michael snuck off to town and bought me a new pair of shoes. He insisted I try them on immediately. I watched him pull the tissue paper out of each shoe as he handed the pair off to me. I tried to put my foot in and my mind became flooded with visions of Cinderella's step-sisters. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get my foot in the shoe. I tried the other side and it fit fine. I checked the sizes to make sure they were the same. No problem there. He watched me struggle and finally said, "Maybe I didn't get all the paper, reach inside." I put my hand in the shoe and flung the shoe at him. "Oh, my god! Oh, my god, Michael, what did you do?" He just smiled and gave the shoe back to me. He encouraged me to reach in again and show him what was in the shoe. I pulled out a jewelry box and handed it to him. He opened it up with a huge grin to show me a ring. No, it wasn't my engagement ring, but it was the first piece of jewelry he gave me and the one I treasure the most.

I've been given other gifts, too. Intangible gifts. Like the love and acceptance of my family and friends even when I don't feel I deserve it. Like the look of pride on a childs face when they finally understand what I'm trying to teach them. Like the smile from someone I pass on the street that brightens an otherwise dismal day.

I think it's the intangible gifts I treasure most. :o)

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Exactly why did this post make me cry? Because you are one of the most caring and thoughtful people with whom I have ever come into contact.

I love the teddybear/watch combo and the show/jewelry combo.

The first awesome gift I can really remember was the 2 huge teddy bears that Rob got me on my 16th birthday. Other than that, nothing really comes to mind.

I so adore giving gifts (because like you, I am the master gift-giver) and I cannot imagine someone else finding that "perfect" gift for me. I guess that happens when you're in retail, though... you end up being a little picky because you know all of the options that are out there.

I hope you have the most wonderful weekend. And if perchance you should get bored, why don't you come here and work my weekend at The Pharmacy and I'll have the summer off. No? Well ok. ;-)

**hugs**

Kerri said...

Thank you so much, Jayleigh. You're making me blush. hehe

I have a huge teddy bear, too. I got it from my step-dad. I named it "After You" so whenever anybody asks, they think my bear has been named after them. hahaha!

Stationery Queen,I'm sure you're right...and I'm sure no matter what I buy he'll be pleased with it. I just really enjoy stressing myself out. ;o)

Jenny said...

Ohhhh I need to copy your teddy bear name!!! That is awesome.

*giggling*

Tee/Tracy said...

Don't worry! I've known my Dad my whole life and I never know what to get him. :) I'm usually great at gift giving though.

I have a terrible memory. I'm trying to think of the best gift. I know when I was little we had a really amazing Christmas. I got a Strawberry Shortcake kitchen, a My Pretty Pony Palace Estate and a bicycle. And once for a birthday I got this dog puppet from an uncle and absolutly fell in love with it.

:)

Sandy said...

Wow, you have such sweet, thoughtful people in your life! I love LOVE LOVE to be surprised, but never am. Hubby can't even wait until the proper day to give me stuff, as soon as he buys it, he's so excited he just wants me to get it already. He'd never be able to pull off a surprise gift for me. My kids are like that too! My Dad is real easy, he asks for Aloha shirts every time. Because he can't get them where he is and that's what he wears, so I am the replenisher of his closet. Lucky me!

Kerri said...

Tee, my best gift as a child would have to be the clarinet I received from my gramma. I was the only one with a wood clarinet...the school supplied the cheaper, plastic kind. I was soo proud of it. I still play it to this day. :o)

Sandy, my husband is terrible when it comes to giving gifts. He buys really early, wraps it up all pretty, and then lets it sit there in plain sight for what feels like years before I can finally open it! I'm usually quite pleased with what I get though, so it makes it worth the wait.