Saturday, June 11, 2005

The Passage of Time

Sandy wrote a post about the passage of time and it got me thinking. I know there are times when we feel like time has gotten away from us. Like there's never enough time in a day. How many times have we thought to ourselves, "If I only had more time..."?

I know I have. But at the same time, I look at the world around me and am thankful for the passage of time. Time brings the seasons. Time brings change. Time brings growth.

Having the power to stop or slow time seems like it would be a nifty gift to have. But is it, really? I thought life was pretty good when I was 21. I had completed college, met Michael, and was leading a care-free life. As much fun as that was, I don't think I'd want to stay at that point in time.

Look at all that's happened since then. I've got a wonderful marriage, I've watched all of my lovely nieces and nephews grow over the years, I've got a rewarding job...

Sure there are things I didn't do. I haven't traveled as much as I would have liked, my dream house still is not built, I still have not had a child of my own. There are also things that I've lost in that time. My grandparents, aunts and uncles...

But all of those things made me who I am today. The only constants in life are the passage of time and change. How you react is the key. Let them beat you down or let them strengthen you. It's a daily choice we each have to make.

I'm not saying I disagree with Sandy. I think we all wish we had more time at some point. But I see it this way:

If time is flying by, it means I'm being active. I'm busy living. What I don't want is for time to stand still. Because then I'm just idle. I'm not achieving, I'm not living, I'm not growing.

7 comments:

Kerri said...

Thank you.

Jenny said...

I'm very glad to see your weekend has apparently picked up since Friday.

Today was a little less busy than yesterday, but we still can't get the old high-speed running. Thanks for always being supportive and asking what's going on.

**hugs**

Tee/Tracy said...

That was really beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the post..have a good day..hugs

Sandy said...

Thanks for helping me see it in another light : )

Lois Lane said...

Nice job!
Lois Lane

Kerri said...

Jayleigh, don't mention it. I wouldn't ask if I wasn't really interested. ;o)

Thank you, Tee.

*hugs* right back at ya, Ahka.

You're welcome, Sandy. :o)

Thanks, Lois.