Monday, May 30, 2005

Memorial Day

I hope everyone is having a nice holiday weekend. The weather has been so beautiful the past 3 days. They keep telling us we're going to get rain but it never materializes. Right now it's about 70 degrees out there.

I'm getting used to relaxing already. I actually slept in today. Only till about 8:30, but to me that's sleeping in.

***********************************

What do you usually do for Memorial Day? We usually have a picnic to kick off Summer, but this year we're just lying low. Michael had to work today and because we were in town over the weekend, we forgot to plan for a picnic. I'm sure we could crash someone else's but we won't. hehe

The community, on the other hand, always has something going on. They start off at the museum. They remember the missionary who brought the first settlers of this island over from Canada. Then they go to the ballpark and remember those we've lost at sea. Their final stop is the graveyard where they remember the veterans we've lost.

I didn't participate this year. Normally I do, but my back is sore. I think Lindsey made it worse last night when she came to visit. She wouldn't quit climbing on me while I was chatting on Yahoo. Literally climbing. My friend joked that Lindsey was a monkey and I was her tree. This tree can't stand very straight today. hehe

**********************************

Since this is Memorial Day, and it's a day to remember those veterans we have lost, I wanted to share a photo I took of the Traveling Wall. It's a mobile version of the Vietnam Wall in Washington, D.C. It came here a couple years ago and was on display here for a few days before moving on. It was very moving to see it and was probably the closest a lot of our community members will get to seeing the real thing. Unfortunately, I can't find the photo after going through my box of photographs today. It eventually got too hot and we had to leave the house. I'll try again tomorrow and if I can find them, I'll post them.

1 comment:

David Edward said...

I hope you get your picture posted,
My memorial day tribute was to my nutty father, a wonderful man. its on my blog