Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Middle/High School Spring Concert

Tonight was the concert for the middle and high schools. It was fun to see. They did a lot of music from the 60's and looked and sounded as if they were having a lot of fun. I've got photos, but the gym lights were off so some of them are dark. I'm sorry.



The high school choir is not very big, but they did great. They sang fun songs from the 60's like Lean on Me, Born to Be Wild, Teenager in Love, and The Lion Sleeps Tonight. The tall boy in front (with no bangs) is my nephew Adam. The girl in the back in the orange shirt is my niece Aja.


Lucione (in the green) was THE BEST trumpet player (trumpeter?) there. No, I'm not being biased...ask anyone who was there! hehe


This band consists of the middle and high school bands. The boys standing are my twin newphews Seth and Mazio. They had a little duet in one of the songs. One's playing the baritone sax and the other the bass clarinet.

My busy week is still not over. Tomorrow I've got a niece and nephew graduating from Head Start. Thursday I've got a retirement party to attend/sing at. Friday is the night my nephew Michael graduates high school. Then we get a couple days of rest and on Monday, Alexys and my other nieces Amanda and Jeanine are being promoted from the 8th grade.

*Just as a side note* I talk a lot about my nieces and nephews. Most people think of nieces and nephews as the children of your siblings. In my native tradition, however, 1st cousins are seen as your brothers and sisters. So many of the nieces and nephews I speak of are the children of my 1st cousins.

8 comments:

Lois Lane said...

It doesn't matter where the children fall into your life, you love them and show them off as if they are yours. I totally dig how your love for them ooozes out all over your blog!
Great photos too!
Lois Lane

Kerri said...

Thank you, Lois. I don't know why I always feel the need to explain myself!

Sandy said...

Kerri, it's almost the same here...except anyone related to you that is older is aunty or uncle, even if they are your cousin people tend to say that. Or if they are anyhow related, and around your age, you say they're your cousin! Also, even if people AREN'T related to you but very close to the family, they are considered "hanai" sister, cousin, aunty, whatever.

Kerri said...

Sandy, I remember hearing something like that when I was in Hawaii years ago. But I thought it was because we were on a bus on our way to a luau. The guide made us call him Cousin Brandon.

Jenny said...

Another incredibly busy week for you! Those concerts are so much fun, and an exciting way for the kids to end their school year, too!

Oh, Hawaii seems like a trillion miles away from here... but not so far from you, is it? It's been chilly here all week so we're dreaming of temperate weather. ;-)

Have a great night!

Kerri said...

Jayleigh, they keep telling us we're in for a lot of rain again, but so far this week we've had some really nice weather. It's sprinkling right now...but was such a beautiful and warm day.

As far as Hawaii, it may as well be a million miles away. We keep saying we're going to get back there and haven't yet. It's been almost 13 years.

Kate said...

Sounds like you've been super busy! Hope you're having fun though. :-)

Fizzy said...

Whata busy time you are having.
When I was little I called any person the same age as my parents Auntie or Uncle .Older people (my grandparent's age) were called by thier titles (mr mrs etc)
I think the way that you included all your nephews and neices is brill