Friday, May 06, 2005

Please, Make it STOP!

Iowa Stubborn
Music: Meredith Willson
Lyrics: Meredith Willson


Townspeople:
Oh, there's nothing halfway
About the Iowa way to treat you,

When we greet you

Which we may not do at all.

There's an Iowa kind of special

Chip-on-the-shoulder attitude.

We've never been without.

That we recall.

We can be cold

As a falling thermometer in December

If you ask about our weather in July.

And we're so by God stubborn

We could stand touchin' noses

For a week at a time

And never see eye-to-eye.

But what the heck, you're welcome,

Join us at the picnic.

You can eat your fill

Of all the food you bring yourself.

You ought to give Iowa a try.

Provided you are contrary,

We can be cold

As a falling thermometer in December

If you ask about our weather in July.

And we're so by God stubborn

We can stand touchin' noses

For a week at a time

And never see eye-to-eye.

But we'll give you our shirt

And a back to go with it

If your crops should happen to die.


Farmer:
So, what the heck, you're welcome,
Glad to have you with us.


Farmer and Wife:
Even though we may not ever mention it again.

Townspeople:
You ought to give Iowa
Hawkeye Iowa

Dubuque, Des Moines, Davenport, Marshalltown,

Mason City, Keokuk, Ames,

Clear Lake

Ought to give Iowa a try!


This song has been stuck in my head ALL DAY LONG! The 5th grade classes are doing reasearch on the 50 states. I was helping one of them find information on Iowa on the internet this morning and ever since then, for the past 9 hours, this blasted song has been replaying itself over and over and over and over again in my head.

I blame my mother. If she were not involved in the theater, I would not have been exposed to the world of musical theater. I would not have been forced to run lines or practice songs. I would not have been able to get a close-up look at how shows are put together. I would have learned nothing about the rehearsal process, set design, costume design, hair and make-up, orchestra, lights, or even what it's like to be an usher.

My mom was in her element when she was on stage. Seeing her happy made me happy. I never tired of watching her performances. I knew the lines of all the characters and if one of them ad-libbed, they could count on me calling them on it. I could sing along with the chorus and principles from beginning to end.

Music was always a big part of our lives, but musical theater breathed new life into us. Getting a new script or a new score was like Christmas. True, they weren't my scripts or scores but it was exciting to me, just the same. Waiting to see which part my mom would play was excruciating. Getting to go to rehearsals was exciting. Watching opening night was exhilerating.

I always went to as many performances as I could. If mom ran out of passes, I'd volunteer to be an usher or watch from backstage. I never got tired of it.

Even if I wasn't in California, I was still involved. She'd call me after rehearsals and tell me how things went. If she couldn't master a song, I'd play it over the phone till she got it right. I was sent programs and photos. I even bought the movie versions of all the musicals she took part in, except Flower Drum Song. They include The Music Man, Singin' in the Rain, Gypsy, On the Town, The Pajama Game, Pippin, Annie, and Flower Drum Song.

My mom hasn't been involved with the theater for the past few years. I don't know if she does, but I sure miss it. It gave us something to talk about. Something exciting and happy. Lately, it's been all about my sister's pissy moods and my mom's RA (I can't remember what the proper name is...but it's painful and she refers to it as RA. No, it's not Rheumatoid Arthritis).

10 comments:

Fizzy said...

I hate it when you get a song in your head and IT JUST STAYS THERE. in our school when the kids have been goodin the computer roomthey are allowed to watch a charity version of Tony Christies "This is the way to Amarillo" they walk out singing it and I teach just near by as they wonder through school all singing along. It hasn't left my head for weeks now

Jenny said...

That's called quite appropriately, an Ear Worm. *blehhh*

Isn't that the song from the opening of The Music Man? I've only ever seen the old version and the new one once each, but I love it dearly.

God bless you in dealing with Mom and Sis. ***hugs*** Keep your positive attitude.

Kerri said...

Fizzy, I feel for you. The kids have been singing Disney songs for months now preparing for their concert this Tuesday. As much as I love Disney, I'm getting tired of the Mickey Mouse Club March!

Jayleigh, it's the song the people sing to Harold Hill after he gets off the train.

Fizzy said...

I have just read your comment on my quiz.... clever you . How did you know?

Fizzy said...

hiya just updated mt blog so have alook you may like it.

Kerri said...

Fizzy, I remembered you thanking her for the duck! :o)

Yay! I'm a winner! I didn't want to ruin anybody else's fun by giving her name so I guessed her location instead. heehee

Aimee said...

Wait, huh? I thought Hill sang the "Garry, Indiana" song.

Kerri said...

He does, Aimee, but not till later. The opening song takes place on the train. All the salesmen sing Rock Island while they're on the train. You know, "Cash for the merchandise, cash for the button hooks, cash for the hard goods, cash for the fancy goods....." When Hill disembarks, he tries to interact with the townspeople and they start singing Iowa Stubborn to him.

Anonymous said...

I saw The Music Man once, long ago, but I've lived in Iowa all my life and I don't ever remember hearing that song before.

Kerri said...

Trust me, Randy. It's in the play and the older version of The Music Man (The one with Shirley Jones as Marian).