Thursday, April 14, 2005

I'm Pissed

I'm sorry, but I am. Today is Lucione's 13th birthday. Last week at school I asked her mother when she was going to have a party. She said, "It looks like I'll have to wait till payday. Or just have a family dinner." Payday is the same each month. Always on the 25th (unless the 25th lands on a weekend or holiday, then it's the workday closest to it, but that's beside the point).

Last night we sat RIGHT NEXT TO HER during Lucione's game. She did not mention a birthday party or dinner.

Just a few minutes ago, Lucione signed on to MSN Messenger so I "sang" happy birthday to her. She said thanks and I asked her when she was going to celebrate. She said, "Right now! Actually, it's over. It started at 12:00. I tried to call you and remind you."

I asked, "How can I be reminded of something I didn't know to begin with?" Then, mainly to make myself feel better, I said, "Oh, it's just as well. I can't go to your house, anyway." She has a cat and I'm allergic.

"Aunty Kerri, it was at the Teen Center."

I felt like I had been slapped in the face. I always help out with their birthdays. I'm always in charge of the decorations. I always help set up and clean up. I'm ALWAYS THERE. I sat right next to her mother for an hour and a half last night. How could she not tell me?

I hate to say it, but after the game, Lucione came to me for comfort. I sincerely hope that had nothing to do with her mother "forgetting" to tell me about the party. She did have the entire game to tell me. I didn't think she was jealous of the relationship I have with her daughter. I hope it's just her blonde streaks showing again. She is, after all, the biggest air-head I know. This just confirms it.

8 comments:

Aimee said...

Man--that just sucks! I'm so sorry, Honey.

Kerri said...

Aimee, I keep telling myself I'm over-reacting. But, really...how hard would it have been for her mother to mention it last night? *deep breath*

I'll just have to think of something really special to do for Lucione. I'll whisk her off to Town, or something. To make it up to both of us.

Kate said...

wow, some people are just chalanged, I guess. Ha. I'm sure your little girl thought nothing less of you. :-)

Kerri said...

Thanks, Kate. I know she doesn't. Her mother just irritates me sometimes. How can she be so scatterbrained? Grrrrrr!

Jenny said...

You're always there for Lucione and she knows it. She knows how much you love her without you saying it. As much as it hurts to have the mom of your niece exclude you from something special in her life, it's not the end of the world.

I'm speaking from experience. Not that I am un-sympathetic, just that the same has happened with my Mindy more times than I want to think about.

*hugs* and chin up, sweetie

Anonymous said...

((((hugs Kerrie)))) sorry that you weren't invited to the party. I would feel bad too.

Kerri said...

Jayleigh, I understand where you're coming from. I know Lucione knows how I feel. It's her mother who irks me. She's claiming she "forgot", even after all my questions last week at work. Whatever. It's over and done with.

((((((Ahka)))))) :o)

Kerri said...

Thank you, Vavoom. Both for your visit and your kind words. :o)