Tuesday, April 05, 2005

:o)

From Kindergarten through the 12th grade, I had a best friend. We were so close, and together so often, people called us the Bobbsy Twins. We did everything together. I was her Maid of Honor, she was mine. The only thing we did not do alike, was have children. She's got 3, from 7 to 13 years old.

Since marriage and parenthood, we've drifted a little. I still consider her to be a very good friend, but finding time to spend together is difficult.

I have taught each of her children. I still have 2 of them. I'm always friendly with them, as they are with me.

The thing is, I haven't felt particularly close to them. I'm not usually involved with their family doings, nor them in mine. I had no idea who I was to them. Meaning, aside from being one of their teachers, I had no idea how they saw me. My friend has never told me how she refers to me.

Last night I got a phone call. I didn't recognize the phone number on caller ID. Michael answered and handed me the phone. I asked who it was and he shrugged. "Sounds like a little girl."

I took the phone and said hello.

"Aunty Kerri?"

"Yes," I replied, still trying to figure out who it was. I'm used to kids not related to me calling me Aunty. They hear it enough from my numerous nieces and nephews they probably think it's my name.

"This is Denise..." and she went on to ask me what she needed. She said thank you and we hung up.

"Wow." Was all I could say when I hung up.

Michael asked, "Who was it?"

"That was Denise...she called me Aunty!"

I was surprised, but delighted. I must have smiled for an hour afterwards.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

That is really sweet.

I love warm fuzzy moments when you learn how someone refers to you or thinks about you and it's GOOD!!!

Have a great night!