Wednesday, April 13, 2005

My Poor Baby is Heartbroken

The little league End-of-the-Season Tournament started today. Lucione had to play against Alexys and despite being ahead by 6 after the first quarter, tied at the end of the first half, AND tied at the end of the 3rd quarter, they lost by 6. They're not out of the tournament, but they have to fight their way through the losers bracket.

I should have kept my distance after the game. Lucione gets emotional with me. As soon as I sat next to her, she started to cry. I gave her a pep-talk about how she played hard and that's what matters most. She did her best, did not nothing wrong, and will have another chance tomorrow. After I said all I could think of, she was still crying so I did the only thing I could think of.

I said, "EEEeewwww! I shouldn't have hugged you. You got your sweat all over me!"

Of course, that made her giggle. Now I have to wash my sweater. :o)

She played her heart out and had a really good game. They really should have won. I made it a point to NOT talk to Alexys after the game because I was quite disappointed in her. I didn't want to lecture her again so thought it best I stay away.

Not too long ago, we had a talk about sportsmanship and how one should act on the court when playing as a part of the team. We talked about playing hard, but playing fairly. We talked about keeping tempers under control and not throwing fits or pouting. We talked about not getting a swollen head. That, especially, is a really bad habit of hers.

I think I may have been talking to myself. She acted like she heard none of it. Not only did she not play team ball, she frowned the entire time and played especially rough when guarding Lucione. When she swatted at her and the ref called her on it, she cried and acted as if she didn't do anything. Her mother went down to the bench and talked to her about her attitude but that seemed to only make things worse.

Lindsey had a game this afternoon. She didn't tell me about it, though, so I missed it. I hear she won so she gets a day off and will play again on Friday. Lucione plays tomorrow. Hopefully she'll get a win. Her team has had a tough time this year. They play their hearts out and can't seem to pull off a win.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I hope she wins too! I've got my fingers crossed.