Monday, April 11, 2005

Pie, Music, and Haircuts

Last night wasn't too unbearable. When I entered the door, Sue jumped up to give me a hug. She said she was glad to see me and I said, "Yeah. You, too." Not very eloquent, I know. But it's hard to talk when biting one's tongue. ;o)

I stayed far enough away from her that she didn't feel the need to converse with me too much. When I finally relaxed, I was able to make small talk with her and the rest of the night was pretty good. There were tons of other family there, not just the siblings. The table was covered with pie, chips and dip, coffee, juice, and ice cream. I had one piece of pie...blueberry. Our Aunt Vivian was there. She especially liked the guacamole and we all loved that she kept calling it glaucoma. She knew its proper name, but told us all a story about a time she had a bit too much to drink and the harder she tried to pronounce guacamole, the more it sounded like glaucoma.

While we were eating, we enjoyed listening and singing along with Aunt Vivian's CD's. She had her granddaughter burn CD's with all of her favorite songs on them. Al Jolson, Frank Sinatra, Lena Horne...it was so much fun. Especially listening to all the stories. Each song seemed to have a memory attatched.

After most of the family left, Sue started cutting hair. She didn't cut mine, although she was trying to talk me into letting her give me layers. I was so tempted but when I cut my hair back in November, a lot of my natural curl showed up and now my hair is wavy. The shorter areas sometimes look as if I have ringlets. I'm afraid to see how curly it will get if I take any more length off the top and sides. She said I could do it tonight if I feel like it. She leaves tomorrow.

Jocko's dad had quite a scare lastnight. His heartbeat was unstable and his blood pressure dropped way down. They were afraid that if they didn't bring it back up in time, his kidneys would fail. He managed to pull through but his family was told to expect another dip like that before he is fully recovered. Please continue to pray for him.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm glad it went alright with Sue and the family. I love listening to the stories of my Uncle Henry because he was my grandma's brother. I just don't know very much about that side of the family because she passed when I was 5 and I was never very close with the ones left. Uncle Henry came back around these parts about 15 years ago and we've been pretty close since.

Nothing can make you feel better (or worse at times) than family. God bless 'em and God bless you.

Kerri said...

Thank you, Jayleigh. :o) May He bless you and yours, as well!