Friday, April 22, 2005

Spring Fever

It's 8AM and already 48 degrees outside. True, that doesn't sound all that warm, but when you spend the last 6 months at 40 degrees or lower, 50 degrees feels warm to you. Yesterday it got into the high 50's and it's expected to get up into the low to mid 60's today and tomorrow.

While it's nice to have this beautiful weather, it has some undesireable side-effects. Especially in the school setting. Some years it feels as if we only have two seasons. Rain and sunshine. So when the sunshine finally arrives, the kids are ready for school to end. Some of them have severe cases of Spring Fever with 5 weeks remaining in the school year.

The older children can't wait to start swimming in the ocean and going camping or fishing. The younger children can't wait to finish school so they can move up a grade. I overheard one little girl telling her older cousin, "After tomorrow I'll only have 35 days till I'm in 2nd grade." She wasn't too happy when her cousin pointed out that she had to wait until the 3 months of vacation were over so it actually was "way more than 100 days."

The temerpature has gone up since I started writing this. It's going to be a loooonnnnng day.

3 comments:

Kate said...

It's gonna be a long day here too. It's sunny and 50 degrees right now. :-)

Jenny said...

A week ago it was 80 degrees here. Today it got up to 40. AND it's raining. But we needed the rain, so I guess......

Have a nice weekend, dearie!!!

Kerri said...

Kate, it got into the 60's today. I so wanted to cancel the 2nd half of the school day. The principal is out of town...I suppose I could have. haha

Jayleigh, I'd melt in 80 degree weather. I'm happy with the 60's we had today. Tomorrow it's supposed to reach 70.